110 rear door, lock kna,,,ed ?

Hi folks, Could anybody give me the benefit of their knowledge please ? My 110 Tdi CSW rear door lock does not lock. I had it replaced some time ago under warranty so it looks like a usual problem. Point is I cannot be bothered to yet again replace a defective part with another that will fail soon, so, is there another option I can apply. I am thinking of some kind of aftermarket lock that I can fit. Not bothered about pretty, simply effective. The door catch itself is still as strong as ever.

Tia

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

You could always try the long pole which I've been using to lock my rear door from the front seats after a friend decided to use the rear door key in the diesel lock. Remote locking, always wanted it. GyroLady

Reply to
GyroLady

Never thought of that, the problem is that it is not the lock barrel but the catch itself which seems to have lost its ability to stay in the locked position Thanks anyway

Reply to
Hirsty's

If it's the same as the early (pre 1990) type then it may be that the spring for the over centre latch has broke, a piece of external inner tube rubber works, rubber bands deteriorate too quickly.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Good I'll try it. I have tried rubber bands and as you say they fall apart very quickly, I think it's the UV that does them in.

Thanks

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Twas Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:35:59 GMT when "Hirsty's" put finger to keyboard producing:

;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Well done Mr Bean 8-)

Reply to
EMB

Thanks

Reply to
Hirsty's

The temporary fix of a band or spring to hold the lock catch up, has the unfortunate side effect of making the rear door self lock upon closing!

Having had 2 rear door catches fail like this, I've been caught out with the self-locking rear door more than once :o(

It seems that a replacement spring is not available so you have to change the entire door catch - ridiculous!

Or is there a redesigned door catch that doesn't suffer this problem?

Neil

Neil

I have had a piece of motorcycle inner tube rubber operating mine for over a year now. It functions the same as the internal spring as its pivot point is in line with the middle of the arc, so it has the same over centre effect.

Heath Robinson

Reply to
sylva