110 rear X-member hole repair?

Requesting the pooled wisdom pleeeese !

1998 Defender rear x-member; just spotted a bit of rust. Banged it with a Maglite and produced a hole about size of a Fifty pence piece. The rest of it seems sound. I recall dinging it in same place a few years ago but did nothing about it !!!

Question is - whats the best way to repair it ? I assume welding a patch on is the simplest option and smothering it inside with Wax-Oyl as I intended doing 9 years ago.

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Has it damaged the batteries as well? ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Spend the time to cut the damaged area out neatly, make up a patch to fit into the hole with about 1mm clearance, MIG it in and dress it up with the grinder - the result should be unnoticeable.

Reply to
EMB