12 seat mot class?

Dose anybody know which mot class a 12 seat landrover falls into? I am guessing it is treated as a minibus but not sure... Thanks in advance Simon

Reply to
Simon Cochran

It depends on the use you're making of it, unfortunately. The best people to talk to are your local VOSA office.

If it's fitted to carry more than 8 people including the driver for reward, it also needs a tachograph fitted under the new rules, if you're towing a trailer for reward, it officially needs a tachograph, as the authorised maximum train weight will be over 3.5 tonnes, but I've heard reports of Land Rover owners being told they need a tachograph even for towing a private trailer. I've also heard of owners told they don't need a tachograph even for commercial use....

If it's used for non-paying passengers, you don't need a tachograph & I'm not sure if it's a class IV (Car) or class V (Passenger carrying Vehicle)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Mine always goes in as for a car mot under class IV. I tow some pretty large trailers for my own private use and it has NEVER been suggested that I need a tachograph though I know I would need one if I were towing in the course of a business or for hire/reward.

Reply to
David J. Button

Long story and local DoT have not a clue. I had my 110 new in 1998 12 seats. MoT after 1st year at class 7 to verify type approved belts ( although fitted by LR as standard. Thereafter as Class 4. All private use. No tacho needed for private and not in France either as LR negotiated dispensation when we joined EU ( so I was told ). It is not a dual purpose vehicle either. Your best bet is to go to the top as I had to and phone Bristol ( in 1998 anyway ) speak to top man. This character cleared all problems up for me.

as

class 7, then class 4 MoT after 1st year ! not 3 years no tacho ( in France either ) insurance can be a pain because most will not touch 12 seats ( try NFU or the specials at rear of Mags ) ( remember side facing seats don't count needing seat belts and are not to be tested in MoT AFAIK )

by the way you cannot get exemption from Ken for the Con Charge unless the V5 has seats number stated.

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:27:37 +0100, "David J. Button" enlightened us thusly:

it's a dual-purpose vehicle 'cos it's a 4x4, ain't it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That would make sense, and according to DoT Purfleet Essex it was. Bristol said not and he was Boss !!

The long and short of it was I had no MoT for 6 months in second year of ownership; mind you I kept all the paperwork so they could'nt say I did'nt try !!

Reply to
Hirsty's