1954 Series 1 with coil springs??

ebay item 170185952512

Seems to have coil springs, but maybe not as we know them... look at

2nd to last picture

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

In message , Andrew T. writes

God what a crate !!

It was common practice to fit coil "assistor" springs to series vehicles that carried large loads or towed a lot.

We ran a fleet of series III and Series IIA 109's that all had coil springs fitted like this between the top of the axle and chassis. But only generally after the leaf springs had started to sag a little.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:28:47 -0800 (PST), "Andrew T." enlightened us thusly:

I bet it was a garage recovery vehicle and the coil springs have been added as helpers. Either that or someone was in the habit of overloading it.

and as series I projects go, that's a heavy one. There must still be easier restorations out there...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, its in a bad way, as is the other one they have up on ebay. I'm not tempeted anyway, I'm after a 2 or 2a lwb.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Andrew T. wibbled

As has been said, coil assist rather than coil sprung.

The two don't look worth the starting price of either to me ... chassis doesn't look good at all in a couple of pics, BICBW. Keeping watch on them, we'd love something like this for our 15 year old to 'do up' and trial, but 400 for junk is a bit much ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So far as I can see the only thing of much value is the registration if anybody can prove title anybody taking bets that the wee beastie is SORN'ed cos if not claiming the bugger could be a nightmare not to mention the laibility for TAX btw my pal Dave has two on his farm in better condition that sheep shelter in.( I wouldn't attempt to restore either one)

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I've got one that runs well but it wants some welding and the brakes sorting. It's got a 2 1/4 diesel in it with later gearbox, I'll get round to sorting it when I get some time. 1954 vintage

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Isle of Skye - I'd be very surprised if it was SORNd. I'd bet that it has been pottering around untaxed for years.

There's some tread on the tyres!

Reply to
Dougal

In article , Dougal writes

I can't see anyone having pottered in that for some while, but the salt damp air has done for it really.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In message , Andrew T. writes

I know of a brilliant 1967 109 Safari which may be coming on the market shortly.

About 10K miles GENUINE from new.

Reply to
hugh

Probably too expensive for me, I'm looking for one which probably needs a new chassis (to go galvanised) as long as the bulkhaed is reasonable. There are quite a few on ebay most of the time, just need to wait for one to be close enough to me. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

In article , hugh writes

Where (roughly)?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

..even if you can, you still have to get it taxed and MOT'd to be able to transfer the reg plate, so by the time you've got that up to MOT standard you're looking at a damn expensive 3x3 reg plate!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Not heard that one provided it is SORNed there is no requirement for a current MOT but you have to be able provide a valid MOT in order prove it is a testable vehicle? so I guess the expired MOT would suffice plus have the vehicles available for inspection , I reckon telling the DVLA it's in the scottish islands is not going to hack it. Which ever way you look at it the idea is a none starter much like the car in question and I would hesitate to put myself in the hands of the DVLA with anything a bit odd I'm still waiting for Miles' V5 ( or whatever the the digi logbook is called this week )

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I believe it is to stop people just finding old V5's and claiming that the vehicle exists so that they can get the (valuable) plate transferred. I bought a scooter from eBay a few years back for the plate, only to find later that it needed an MOT for the transfer - fortunately I had a friendly MOT garage at hand! (way before the computerised days) and was able to get hold of one just to transfer the plate off, don't know if things have changed, but at the time the DVLA wouldn't do the transfer for me unless it had a current MOT & Tax disc.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

bastards. Thats a completely different leaflet to the one i got sent when i tried to get the number off an old car 18 months or so back.Its dated 09/06 so i assume mine was the previous version or a different one? (it came with the transfer form)

The leaflet i had definitely said that it had to have a current MOT rather then just be subject to them. I think posted here about it at the time too. My car had run out of MOT so i ended up breaking it. I still have the v5 sorned and the plates in the shed but the car has now long gone so im stuck :( It is a cool irish number that works upside down too :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Oooh. property on skye is nice and cheap but i think the commute to here for work wouldnt be that fun :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ideal for a trialler then Tom :-) Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:38:46 +0100, Matt M enlightened us thusly:

point about mopeds and such is that the amount of work to get it testable in order to retrieve the plate is not likely to be too onerous. unlike a very-dead SI.

Reply to
Austin Shackles