1972 Series III 109 questions

I've just bought one of the above and need a little advice please:

In what circumstances is a steering damper fitted?, mine has the mountings but no damper and Haynes doesn't appear to mention one.

Just how much play should there be in the steering?, I'm seeing about 3 inches movement of the steering wheel rim without movement of the wheels.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Greg uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'd have said off the top of my head one inch either way on the outer circumference from centre before expexting the slack to be taken up. It will be worth checking / replacing the 6 track rod ends that make up the system and check the steering relay which goes through the chassis for movement other than that it was designed for. Any other slop will be in the steering box it's self but it's amazing just how much can be got rid of by doing the above.

As for the damper, if it's not got a wobble on at around 40 to 50 mph then it should be fine. Some had them and some didn't, some mask the signs of worn swivel pins (not the end of the world by any strech).

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

about 3

Greg (oh and hello - over here from uk.rec.models.engineering for a change ?)

My Civi Series iii 109 didn't have one fitted. I think most of the ex military ones did have it fitted. Excess play on mine turned out to be the railko bushes in the swivle housings not having been shimmed correctly by the previous owner. You need to get an assistant to rock the wheel whilst you put your hand across each potential play point in turn - it could simply be a worn trackrod end.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:18:04 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

that's excellent for a series :-)

seriously though - check all the ball joints, there are lots.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:38:52 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

Oh, and BTW - I took the damper off mine, it was restricting the steering, leading to even worse turning circle than usual. Dampers are optional on series...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Steering dampers were optional only on all Series Landrovers, although some markets at some times fitted them to all Landrovers sold.

Your steering play is excessive, although not all that bad. Get someone to wiggle the wheel while you see where it is. Look particularly for the ball joints at each end of the drag link from the steering box to the relay unit, and on the drag link from there to the steering arm and both ends of the tie rod. Also check for free play of the relay unit arms on the splines and the pitman arm on the steering box. None of these points should have ANY play at all. Free play in the steering box can mostly be adjusted out (remove cover under the mudguard to get at it).

Although it may not show up on a static test like this, free play while driving may also be from wear in the swivel bearings, wheel bearings and spring shackle bushes. JD

Reply to
JD

They also make the steering even heavier..... I found when i fitted one to my 109" 2.6. But then it did need one, even with new trackrod ends and new swivel pins etc etc It used to get harmonic wobbling after bumps in the tarmac something chronic.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes tis me, I seem to have found yet another way to spend my spare time 8-).

I was originally looking for a Defender hence my previous questions here about engine types, but wasn't prepared to pay the silly prices they're asking for one with a good chassis so instead have gone for a tax exempt Series III that's had a lot of work done on it, chassis, brakes, engine rebuild, yet was still only just over 2k so I'm happy.

I think from what everyone is saying it has excessive play so I'll have it on axle stands this weekend and see if I can track down what needs attention, many thanks to all who answered.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

STC 786 if you want to fit one.

*most* likely to be these, if there's a lot of movement here, remove the clamp bolt(s) and take off the arm(s) to check condition of splines, they can wear quite badly in the arms but the shaft is hard and not usually worn. Martin.
Reply to
Oily

Yep, I've spotted that the arm on the top of the steering relay is loose on it's splines, so can anyone recommend good mail-order suppliers of such parts please?. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Paddock's or Richard at Beamends?

Martin