1991 Disco SI 3.5l V8 piston clang or timing chain

Hi Folks !

My engine seems to be a little sick...it makes a tinging sort of sound when under very light engine load then it goes (or can't be heard due to engine noise)..not camshaft/tappets..lower down in the engine..anybody have an endoscope their not using..so I don't have to pull the heads off..hmm maybe compression may give me an idea.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted..the engine has 202k km's (121,000 miles) on it.

The MAF sensor failed and it ran rich and lean for a time which may have added to the woes.

New spark plugs are immediately carbonised..still seems to run rich...

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
wundermann

Does it burn / use oil ?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It doesn't seem to burn oil..no tell-tale smoke if you floor it..but it uses some oil over a period of time..say you drove 500km's you would have to top up say 200mL or so..also coolant is not being lost..and I have had a hydrocarbon dye test done to check for combustion gases in the cooling system..no show at the moment..although when you stop I can hear a gentle hiss from the reserve tank cap..which is easily vented by a fraction of a turn.

I have ordered a bottom end gasket set and a timing chain and also a top end gasket set so hopefully should be able to see what's happening...DOH why can't it keep going like my Honda NTV650 Revere..yeeharr a good bike....120,000 still going..

Reply to
wundermann

km's... h'mmm I'm in that using both but happier in Miles type of era.. so am I right in calculating that every 300 miles you need to put in 20 ml or so of oil to maintain a level ?

If so I suspect worn bores/rings which are in turn oiling up your plugs... or even stem seals if it has them. Worth doing a compression test to try and learn a bit more.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Rover's own oil consumption limit for the 3.5 and 3.9 V8's with "washer" style guide seals is 400 miles per pint!!!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:17:18 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

bloody hell, mine's good, then.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thusly:

effing nora! so it official that they are 5#1t from the start then :o)

My last V8 used little to no noticeable oil between changes of 3000 miles. Must have been a lucky one.

Can't say yet that I've isolated all the leaks on Morph to tell :o(

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D