1992 Disco heater core to be replaced

Hi all,

I've been reading here for ages, but I rarely write anything - so here goes...

When I get back home to Australia, the poor old girl has to have her heater core replaced ...just before I left, she piddled all over the carpets and made a nice mess. Currently the trouble is bypassed, but eventually it will get cold enough for me to need to turn it on, so I'm going to see what happens when I start removing the dash to get at it.

Anybody done this before? Can I get to the core through the centre console and heater control panel, or do I have to remove the WHOLE dashboard? If I have to start tunnelling my way in from the back door, then I'm not going to look forward to the job at all.

Thanks for any tips and advise from anybody who's been here before.

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
CraigB

Should take about 4 hours(but plan for all day if you never have done one before) and yes you have to take the whole dash out (although its not as bad as it sounds). Some people say you dont have to take the dash out, but, you have to split the heater assembly in two to get at the core how you do this in situ i dont know.

If i was nearer I would be happy to do it for you(it really isnt a bad job to do at all)

Reply to
johnty

On or around Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:26:09 GMT, "CraigB" enlightened us thusly:

dash out to remove the heater unit, certainly. I doubt you can get the matrix out any other way. There's a good deal of truth in the theory that when assembling modern motors they start with the heater matrix and build it around that...

takes about 4 hours from start to finish on a 200 TDi - BTDT...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many thanks for your replies. It'll be a month till I get home, so that will give me plenty of time to worry about it. I guess I might as well completely pull the whole assembly and see what sort of condition it's in overall. Considering the age of the vehicle I reckon a couple of the rubber vanes will be in pretty poor condition, thanks to our climate.

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
CraigB

Craig Hi,

may I suggest you use one of the available additives that tend to repair holes in radiators? If this fails then you can start removing the dash (have also BTDT in order to fit an A/C to my 200Tdi).

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos