1993 Disco Question?

Hi,

Bit of a newbie here...

I've been looking at a 1993 V8 Disco which is only 9000 NZD (3000 pound). They normally go at more like 15000 NZD.

The only major issue I can see is the 155,000 kms it's done. Is this a lot for these engines? Are there any major engine/gearbox problems when the mileage gets up a bit.

The rear sun roof has been sealed with duct tape on the outside, so clearly that leaks. Otherwise the vehicle looks really tidy.

We were looking to get rid of the car and get a TDi of about 96 vintage but this would be a change of strategy. Keep the car and get a Disco that is not so precious. The fuel is not as big an issue here as petrol is still a third of UK prices.

Any advice on whether the high kms may be a liability would be welcome??

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson

That mileage is no problem if the V8 has been looked after - if it's auto the gearbox will be fine, if it's manual it may need replacing.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem if its been servicied properly - for that money you're not risking too much

Reply to
Exit

Thanks for that, it is an automatic. I think it has been a rental for three years which may or may not mean its been serviced properly! I will check.

You're right about the risk being fairly low at that price..

Pete

Exit wrote:

Reply to
Pete Dawson

Julian's got it right - £3000 is a bit of a steal (at least by UK standards). I've got 130K miles on mine and it still runs OK, but is starting to feel a bit tired in the suspension department. New springs, shocks and balljoints will probably tighten things up, but all in all the Disco has cost me sod all apart from a new gearbox, which was budgeted into the purchase price. There is the drinking habit of course, but we don't talk about that....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

As an aside to your origonal message you have a leaking sunroof. I have a 1991 Disco that came with the leaking sunroofs as well. I did not find any DIY remidies that worked. I suggest you invest in two new seals, frame to sunroof, that are easy to fit and also two new window catches as the wind down catch wears out and you cannot get the sunroof closed tightly.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

If you don't and it has been raining, or you have just cleaned it, you get quite a large amount of water down your neck when you go round a corner, or/and a wet seat.

Reply to
Nikki

Thanks everyone for the good advice...

Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson

In article , Duncan writes

Mine, on the 110, is the clip-down handle type. It's been silicone-sealed closed by the previous owner. Does anyone know if a new seal is viable? I'd love it to open in this weather...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig