1993 K Reg Discovery 200 TDI

1993 200 TDI.

Green, alloy wheels, genuine replacement Landrover engine by previous owner good condition for year.

12 months MOT and 5 months tax

high Mileage 192k hence £3200 ono

Located in Sutton Coldfield

0121-240-4941 07803 588240

No Sensible offer refused as new unexpected company car

Reply to
Chris Lord

On or around Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:39:33 +0100, "Chris Lord" enlightened us thusly:

b**ger me, wish I got those...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

not when its a mitsubish l200 4life double cab

2 quid a week tax

Reply to
Chris Lord

Or a Freelander Commercial or a Disco Commercial

Reply to
FireFox

On or around Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:46:44 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I'd be quite happy with a 110 double cab. Mind you, one of the best improvements on my 110 was the fitting of better seats, and I dunno if yer company car supplier would approve of ripping the seats out and fitting sierra ones.

buggered if I know why LR can't fit decent seats, if I can do it, they bloody should be able to. LR second row seats are a poor joke, really.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Someone I know who recently treated himself to the latest XS 90 reckons the seats have improved somewhat. But you are right, they have a long way to go. I reckon the Defender would have Discovery seats if they'd fit in, ISTR the seat boxes are too high for them at present.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

So if I actually get offered this job I'm chasing that has a company car as part of the "compensation package" [1](American company, UK office) I could get a commercial Freebie and thus reduce my personal tax burden?

Reply to
tbiller

Possibly, but some American companies also preclude 4x4s (or convertibles) from company car schemes.

Reply to
David French

Dunno how people can say the Defender is woefully out of date compared to the competition.

Just been and had a look at a Mitsubishi L200 double cab with a mate. It's pretty on top, but hideously out of date underneath.

Engine is a 2.5 TD 4 cyl which puts out a shed load less power and torque than a TD5. It's got an old fashioned selectable 4WD system like a Series Land Rover. It's got cart springs on the back like a Series motor. It's got drum brakes at the back like a Series motor. It can't tow as much as a Defender. It's got a steel body that will not last as long as an ally Defender. It drives OK on smooth roads, if a bit gutless but bounces around like you'd expect cart springs to on a bumpy road.

So what has it got going for it - good seats, car-like interior. . . . . .er, thats it really. From a modern engineering point of view its way behind any current Defender with coils all round, discs all round, ABS, TC, full-time 4WD, much more powerful high tech TD5 etc, etc.

All fo this applies to just about all of the competition too - Ford Maverick, Hi-Lux and even the Navarra is only a bit better. What all these pick-up are really is a mixture of Series and 1980's technology with a modern body on top.

The only old-fashioned bit of a Defender is the body and the only modern bit of the Mitsu is the body! I know where I'd rather put my money.

Reply to
Exit

On or around Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:15:04 +0100, "Chris Lord" enlightened us thusly:

come off it... you didn't expect a practical result, did you?

was it yours that was lacking MOT a little while ago, or was that someone else?

try it on eBay...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

ebay is definitely the place. It may, or may not, confirm my suspicion that Discovery values are dropping considerably and that this one is a little overpriced.

A little research shows mine to be worth about half what I paid for almost two years ago, which is not a great result although fortunately I wasn't counting on any resale value.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Seconded opinion here! I've been doing quite a bit of work on eBay recently. I see that with PayPal one can now accept payment for virtually anything by credit card, which is handy. The only snag being that the fees for same are rather high. There are no fees if one is accepting payment via any other means, only by credit card, which seems a bit odd. Strikes me PayPal could dramatically enhance any lister's economies if those lister's are involved with trade of any kind.

I reckon your 1993 K reg Discovery would easily fetch between £3,000 and £6,000 if it had an MOT, on eBay.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

IT HAS A FULL 12 MONTHS MOT NOW !!!! and 5 MONTHS TAX

Reply to
Chris Lord

Try it on eBay then. Set your minimum price to £3,000 and put it up for 10 days and see what happens. You may make a sizable profit. Do you have access to a digital camera so that you can put piccies up on the advert? And where did you say you were based?

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Sutton Coldfield near Birmingham

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Reply to
Chris Lord

Of course!! There's always small print....

(I'm damned if I can find it though, but I'll keep looking....)

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Biller

On or around Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:16:46 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

I think it may have an MOT now...

IIRC, it's had a factory engine and 'box fitted, if those are provable and haven't done many miles, it ought to be worth the asking price

Reply to
Austin Shackles