1996 TDi Discovery - starter wouldn't work but then ok again later - any ideas please?

My 1996 TDi Discovery started first time today as normal. After a 6 mile journey, when I came to start her up again nothing happened. The headlights worked and all the instrument lights came up as normal but nothing from the starter. I was just thinking about plan B, and gave the key another turn and she started up as normal and is now fine again - for the time being.

Any ideas please as to why this happened and what I could do to prevent future problems?

Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony

Any clicks/noises when you turn the key?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Immobiliser? My 300Tdi Defender does the same occasionally. Colin

Colin Reed

My defender did similar once, there was a very quiet click, it turned out to be a dodgy connection from the vehicle to the starter motor solenoid, the click was the relay trying to switch the starter solenoid into action but the power wasn't getting to it, which stopped the starter motor from engaging and then drawing its own power through the beefy motor power cables. Removing the spade connector and putting it back on fixed it immediately.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reply to
David Murray