1998 RANGE ROVER 4.6HSE - ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

Hello-

I recently purchased a 1998 RR 4.6HSE (33K miles) and noticed that the outside temperature reading that is with the air conditioning system reads 32F most of the time and then other times will read the actual temp correctly. The service dealer said that he had looked at it and found nothing wrong.

Also, the other day I was on the freeway and flashed my brights and the entire system went down, the engine stopped running, gauges went to zero and there was absolutely no power. then it came back on. I pulled that same arm to see what happened and the same thing happened only this time it didn't come back on. I had to pull over on the side of the fwy and wait to be towed. I was towed to a dealer several miles away to have it looked at. The service person (not the mechanic) jumped the car and it started up. The tech looked at it, said he did some "low-line testing" and said he could not find anything wrong so I drove off. Outside the dealer, I noticed the speedodometer was not working. I took it back and he said he had never seen that happen before. The needle was below the pin which leads me to believe that while performing his testing he spun the needle around and just didn't say anything (I asked him if he noticed that it wasn't working and he of course said he didn't...even while driving and testine it...sounds fishy!) I drove off again after he said there was no danger in taking it without an operational speedo. I got back on the freeway, and after getting off at my offramp, the car died again for a moment and then came back on only to finally die a couple of miles up the road. The tow truck driver merely touched one of the battery posts with cables and the system came back up long enough for him to load it on the truck. I have to have it towed again to a dealer to have them look at it. I am absolutely certain it is electrically based however I've had a few people tell me different things...alternator, battery, and a miriad of other things.

Do these two things sound related? If not does anyone have any input on either of them?

Thanks Nancy

Reply to
Nancy

Nancy> Hello- I recently purchased a 1998 RR 4.6HSE (33K miles) Nancy> and noticed that the outside temperature reading that is Nancy> with the air conditioning system reads 32F most of the time Nancy> and then other times will read the actual temp Nancy> correctly. The service dealer said that he had looked at it Nancy> and found nothing wrong.

This is a known problem with earlier ECUs and requires a new HeVAC ECU to be fitted. I haven't heard of it happening on a later (1997 or later) model.

Nancy> Also, the other day I was on the freeway and flashed my Nancy> brights and the entire system went down, the engine stopped Nancy> running, gauges went to zero and there was absolutely no

So adding a large electrical load causes a stall...

Nancy> power. then it came back on. I pulled that same arm to see Nancy> what happened and the same thing happened only this time it Nancy> didn't come back on. I had to pull over on the side of the Nancy> fwy and wait to be towed. I was towed to a dealer several Nancy> miles away to have it looked at. The service person (not Nancy> the mechanic) jumped the car and it started up. The tech Nancy> looked at it, said he did some "low-line testing" and said

"low line testing"???? Does this mean "it didn't do it this time"???

Nancy> he could not find anything wrong so I drove off. Outside Nancy> the dealer, I noticed the speedodometer was not working. I

Speedo is driven by the BeCM from the ABS sensors.....

Nancy> took it back and he said he had never seen that happen Nancy> before. The needle was below the pin which leads me to Nancy> believe that while performing his testing he spun the

Nancy> freeway, and after getting off at my offramp, the car died Nancy> again for a moment and then came back on only to finally Nancy> die a couple of miles up the road. The tow truck driver Nancy> merely touched one of the battery posts with cables and the Nancy> system came back up long enough for him to load it on the Nancy> truck. I have to have it towed again to a dealer to have Nancy> them look at it. I am absolutely certain it is electrically Nancy> based however I've had a few people tell me different Nancy> things...alternator, battery, and a miriad of other things.

I think we have two problems here. One is applying a large electrical load causes the engine to stall. The other is a misreading speedo, which might have been a technician with the brains of a slug which other slugs call "Mr. Stupid".

Two things come to mind. The first is that either the battery or alternator is failing and is causing some of theses problems. With a voltmeter connected across the battery, check the voltage under the following conditions:

1) everything switched off, doors closed.

2) everything switched, off, doors closed, don't even breathe in the direction of the car for 130 seconds (2 minutes, plus 10 seconds to be on the safe side).

3) When cranking the engine

4) With the engine running at idle

5) With the engine holding 2,000 revs.

You should see 13.2V in 1 and 2, more than 10V at 3, more than 13.5V at 4, and around 14V at 5. Any major difference in 1, 2 or 3 - buy a new battery. A big difference at 4 or 5 suggests the alternator.

The second, more serious problem, is a BeCM failure. The BeCM controls almost every non-mechanical aspect of the car, and could well fail in such as way that powering up the headlights engages the immobiliser. To prove/disprove this you need the actual fault codes reported by the BeCM. Ask the dealer to provide a list of all reported fault codes and report back here.

Sorry I don't have any instant answers. This should give us some insight into finding the problem. Feel free to e-mail me if you need any more help or can't get a straight answer from the alleged technician at the dealer.

AndyC

--

- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the bestgolfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, andGermany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon

Hi Andy-

Thanks for your replies. I just spoke to the BMC dealer where I finally towed it to and he said it is the BeCM ($1400)and he is going to order it today. I just called him back to ask what fault codes it reported. I am waiting for his call.

Since I know nothing about LR or any British cars for that matter, is there a code that can be fixed individually or does the entire BeCM have to be replaced?

Anyway, I appreciate your able assistance!

Nancy

Reply to
Nancy