2,25 overheat

James

Have you checked for a blowing head gasket?

Also check the Radiator cap isn't leaking as you get similar symptoms.. though it shouldn't affect the oil temp. Is the oil contaminated with coolant at all?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Sounds like the water isn't being pumped efficiently. A Series Land Rover should not boil unless being driven very hard in a hot climate. With the oil cooler, particularly in this weather, your vehicle should be running cool.

If it was mine I'd be checking the water galleries and the water pump as well as making sure none of the water hoses have kinked or collapsed internally.

One other thing to check is whether the engine is properly tuned. That can make a difference but my money is on it being either a blockage or broken water pump (ie: the impeller blades have corroded away)

Reply to
PDannyD

Check the ignition timing - my guess is that you've got it very retarded.

Reply to
EMB

In news: snipped-for-privacy@is.co.za, jamsan blithered:

New cap?

Reply to
GbH

This is not normal for this engine. You have a definite problem, and I would be checking the ignition timing first and fan belt tension. If this is OK, look for problems with the water circulation and pressurisation, such as the radiator cap, blocked passages in the block, soft hoses or loose bits of hose in the system or possibly the water pump. Unless you live in a very hot area (average temperatures commonly above 40C) you should not need an additional fan unless you are using a PTO when stationary. JD

Reply to
JD

Take the thermostat out first and try it again. This is the cheapest and simplest test first. It is not unknown for new components to be faulty. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I recently helped a mate who had similar symptoms, not on a LR tho. While on the move the temp gauge read a little bit above normal but it didn't usually overheat. When stationary leccy fan was coming on but the temp gauge slowly climbed towards the red. Switch the engine off and after a few seconds of gurgling the the water level slowly rose up in the expansion tank and it poured out. The top hose was getting hot but the bottom hose didn't seem to be getting as hot we thought it should. Turned out to be the water pump. The impellor had parted company with the shaft!

Reply to
gazza

Hi all I have just overhauled my 2,25 ser III and have still got an overheating engine up steep inclines. My radiator is new, thermostat new, temp gauge new but the engine goes over

100'C up steep pass and when I switch off engine, 4 seconds later the damn thing starts to boil and spews water out the cap. I also have an oil cooler and the oil goes also to 100'C which is why I switched off the motor in the first place. Is this standard Landy problem or must I get thermo fan? James
Reply to
jamsan

Seems common on VW group stuff

Reply to
Mr Jolly

James

Have you checked for a blowing head gasket?

Also check the Radiator cap isn't leaking as you get similar symptoms.. though it shouldn't affect the oil temp. Is the oil contaminated with coolant at all?

Lee D

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Reply to