2.5 Litre Sherpa diesel - Valve clearances?

Just acquired a nice 2a with a sherpa 2.5 engine. I have a couple of questions as I am a landrover newbie, and hope someone on here can point me right? :-)

  1. Do the valve clearances need adjusting on this engine, if so does anyone have the spec & are they shimmed or screw/locknut?

  1. Oil leak from what appears to be the Overdrive unit (looks like a fairey) - Is this considered normal, or is it worth while buying new gaskets etc ?

3 Occasionally jumps out of fourth whilst cruising (overdrive in high each time this has happened), and out of second on downhill descents, preceeded by grating noises and lever bucking as if the gear is being selected without matching engine revs(2nd gear only). Years ago, when I worked on Lada gearboxes, jumping out of fourth was caused by the output 'knuckle' nut on the back of the box output shaft being very loose!

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given.

Tezza

Reply to
terry

Quite common, like all landrovers. If it's just oily on the outside, don't worry, just keep an eye on the oil level. If it's dripping then you may need new seals

Fourth and second? It's possible there is a problem with the selectors and/or gear lever, with gears not engagin properly.

More likely the gearbox is worn. Second is a common wear point, more so on SIII gearboxes, which yours may have as it has a 2.5. Does it have syncro on 1st/2nd? The 2a boxes do not, and don't tend to wear so much, except when people who cannot cope with crash gears drive them. SIIa boxes tend to wear the 3rd/4th cluster out first, although it's usually down to poor driving and gearchanging.

Bearing in mind you have a torquier 2.5deisel, it's quite possible your gearbox is on the way out.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yep, its dripping... Which seals? Does anyone do a seal/gasket set for this unit?

Gearbox has no synchro except on 3rd/4th, so I beleive it to be a 2a version

Reply to
terry

Screw/nut and ive always used the numbers in the haynes manual. the

2.25D and 2.5D use the same numbers IIRC. I can check it if you dont have one.
Reply to
Tom Woods

I would be grateful if you could check for me, I dont yet have a workshop manual

Thanks, Terry

Reply to
terry