2.5 N/A 90 engine into Series 2A?

Query:

Will a Landrover 2.5 N/A diesel engine install into a Series 2A with along with original Series 2A gearbox? Regards, Tom

Tom Sharrocks

Yes, but I think you have to relocate the battery due to the injector pump position. Fit your old 2a engine mounts. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

You have to move the battery for the sherpa 2.5, so the landrover 2.5 should be the same. Under the passenger seat is a good spot for it.

Apart from that it should be a very easy swap.

Reply to
Tom Woods

My 2.5 Sherpa engined 109 had the battery pushed backwards up towards the bulkhead. It was also a very small battery, which wasn't great for a truck that wanted 60 seconds glow plug before starting. Under the seat would be preferable for sure.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Last one I did was my own series 3, quite some years ago. That was using the sherpa version of the engine, different timing cover, belt and pump positioning. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Indeed - the LDV version goes straight in, but if I remember right the LR version fouls the steering - I seem to recall that an LDV front cover is required to sort this out....... its been a while though so I may be remembering wrong.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thinking about it, I seem to remember being told at the time that the std landy engine mounts go straight onto the ldv engine, but the right hand one fouls the injector pump on the landy version due to the injector pump sitting lower down on the block. Don't remember of any steering issues though, but I could be wrong as it's at least 12 years ago that I did it! What I do remember though is that the LDV engine was the later block, with the turbo oil feed and return hose positions blanked off, so I fitted an aftermarket turbo kit to it, no wastegate, built up to around 5psi at max chat, bloody useless! I then rebuilt an old MG Metro turbocharger unit (same mounting flange) and fitted that with the wastegate set to 8.5psi with no intercooler! Ran out of puff at 3500rpm due to back-pressure in the exhaust manifold (the turbo's turbine housing was too small for the 2.5d engine) but it didn't half take off like a rocket up to that, max boost being available from 1300rpm upwards! Was good fun though, a series III ragtop with rangie diffs and 7.50 tyres. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Stop giving me ideas!. I can't have anymore until ive got the current immobile car fixed and the 101 ready for expediting(?)

How long did the engine last with the turbo on it?

What boost level does the proper 2.5 turbo run at?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Still running yet, being used in fields with a sheep feeder permanently in tow...... Turbo was removed after about 3 months usage as I couldn't lay my hands on a cheap intercooler and I was frightened of blowing it up!

'Bout 8psi, I think. Would need to go find some books to confirm, and I ain't doing that 'cos it's pi$$ing down outside!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Still got the bits kicking around?. want rid? :)

I've got a spare IC :)

I dont blame you!. 'bout 8psi is accurate enough for my curiosity anyhow!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Might do, would need to check. Bloke I sold it to still has the turbo bits and manifolds etc, even though he has long since sold the vehicle on. Leave it with me, if you don't hear anything within a month, ping me as my memory is crap!! (Came with turning 40!)

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks! :)

I'll remind you if i dont hear owt and remember myself

my proper email address is tom at tomwoods dot co dot uk if you want to email me later.

Reply to
Tom Woods