2" lift on a Td5 90 - pitfalls?

Can anyone advise if there are any pitfalls in putting a 2" LIFT KIT on a Td5 90 ('99). I am a bit concerned as have read somewhere that it ' MAY' cause problems with the prop shaft UJ's?

Does anybody have any advise for me regarding this. Sorry to sound a bit dense, this off roading is fairly new to me, and have found that you chaps on here are a gold mine of helpful friendly information.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Maybe get in touch with Scorpion Racing on 020 7485 5581 or

I think you'll find if you just want the height for looks it shouldn't be a problem, but for serious off-road use the prop-shafts will have to work at more extreme angles and may 'bind'. Scorpion - and other companies I'm sure - sell props with a 30 degree wide yoke to stop 'binding'.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

The angles their props are designed to deal with are those that are brought about by fitting their Extreme suspension. For a straight 2" lift, there is normally no need to worry about prop angles.

When you see the Extreme suspension working, you know why you need wide yoke props.

I have seen one person without props snap his prop due to binding with Extreme suspension, while the other who I know (whose red 90 truck cab is on the Scorpion stand at each show) has wide yoke props and has yet to bind it....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The problem with any lift is not always the angles that the UJ can stretch to - it is the increased angle that it is being forced to work at when at the increased normal ride height... On a 2" lift you will not bind a UJ but it will wear out quicker than if left at std ride height.

The current trend of lifting vehicles ( not the axles however! ) to 'make them better offroad' puzzles me slightly. As an excuse to get bigger wheels then there is an advantage but given that you can get 255/85 tyres under a vehicle with a moderate lift ( 1" ) why go any further? All you are doing is raising the centre of gravity, throwing the weight further back ( often out of the axle line ona SWB ) when trying to climb steep hills and the big fault: Measure carefully the compressed length of the new shocks etc and you will probably find that the bumpstop will need spacing to protect the new shocks reducing the amount of extra travel by as much as you gain with the added bonus that on most available 2" lifts the springs will come out of the seat at full travel!

Axle articultion is the key, not just seeing how tall you can make an already ( by nature ) unstable vehicle even taller!!!

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

Dave

I did a 2" lift to my 90 and the front prop vibrated like crazy. There are two solutions ....one is to fit a castor kit that will restore alignment with the flanges and second, consider a double knuckle UJ prop in front (Scorpion racing) The rear seems to be OK as the diff moves up and down with a coupling top and bottom ensuring it stays parallel. Front seems to be the only issue.

Even with the above, UJ's life is reduced by 20-30%.

Reply to
Aubrey

Hear hear - it amazes me that some think that with 50 years experience, and, relatively speaking, massive budgets, Land Rover have never thought of trying lifting motors! How often do you get stuck because the chassis has grounded - compared to the axle bumping into something! Ok, so there is always an element of compromise with on and off road requirements, but that applies to the whole vehicle - lifting a motor is going to completely change the geometry of the entire susupension and drive train! Thats why you will often see motors with lifts cross-axled when a bog standard leafer has had no problem! Pop along to a big inter-club or national CCV trial and see which motors are winning - it's not the lifted ones!

Exactly!!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I agree, but unfortunately no-one is able to tell me the minimum lift I can get away with to fit 235/85 tyres to my Disco, so I'm stuck with doing the 2 inch lift that so many others have.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Neither my 110 or 90 leak through the roof (the 90 winscreen seal leaked a bit- but then it should have been replaced along with the glass.....)

Spending a lot if time in garages that also repair other *working* 4x4's, Land Rovers from around 1990 on are not much worse that the others (except Toyota)

Thay have 200 and 300 Tdi, and Td5. Any of those engines, if servived occasonaly, are just as good as any others.

I'm over six foot, and I like the driving position, but then I don't like the position in "cars" - horses for courses I suppose.....

They didn't - no other 4x4's use them, why should LR be special? I get customers moaning about corrosion in their early 110, but when I remind them its nearly 20 years old...........

That's being done, witness the all-new back door, but then have a look at an old Toyota hi-lux by the door hinges, behind the front wings or in front of the rear wheel arches - it may not be ugly (except for the latter!) , but its going to be just as big a problem. How many 10 year old Toyotas etc are on the road still, never mind 20 year old or more......

Spend a week in a garage that deals with all makes of 4x4 if you think Land Rover have problems..........

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

More from the ZA-LRO list ....

7-Placing the pedals directly under the steering wheel, so that the steering doesn't sit to one side and the pedals to the other side.( Actually think the steering is off center too) 8-Place the window winder you can actually wind it with out skinning knuckles or opening the door. 9-Trained mechanics 10-Temp gauge that actually changes in increments under 30 degrees... 11-Cupholders(Ok the New Defender has that, but nothing fits! It is too Biiiiig) 12-Aircon that cools more than your nuts, Keys and part of your left knee. 13-More intelligent place for an ECU that hates water... (Td5)
Reply to
Aubrey

Hmm, a few others they have missed ....

1 - Curing the series and Defender water leaks on the roof. 2 - Managing to design an engine and drive train that does not leak oil. 3 - Design a replacement for the "excellent and powerful" V8 4 - Allow people over 6 feet tall to sit in a Defender 5 - Ask the consumer why they wanted galvanized chassis. 6 - Cure bi-metal corrosion on Defenders

I am sure I have missed few so feel free to add to the list.....

More from the ZA-LRO list ....

7-Placing the pedals directly under the steering wheel, so that the steering doesn't sit to one side and the pedals to the other side.( Actually think the steering is off center too) 8-Place the window winder you can actually wind it with out skinning knuckles or opening the door. 9-Trained mechanics (Unique to SA) 10-Temp gauge that actually changes in increments under 30 degrees... 11-Cupholders(Ok the New Defender has that, but nothing fits! It is too Biiiiig) 12-Aircon that cools more than your nuts, Keys and part of your left knee. 13-More intelligent place for an ECU that hates water... (Td5)

More unique LR wisdom fro South Africa.....

- totally useless windscreen wipers

- 1 candle power headlights

- cr@ppy power steering

- Lucas

- Magnetti Marelli

- useless aircons

- cr@p gearboxes

- the most useless bunch of dealers and mechanics on earth (I am sure only SA)

Reply to
Aubrey

oh dear, your one of them, arn't you.............

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear..................

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

LR owner? Of course ;-) Two in fact ....

Reply to
Aubrey

On or around Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:51:57 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

Jack up under one end of the front axle using a meag-tall jack, and see how near the bodywork the tyre gets. Calculate how much taller the 235/85 tyre is (it's summat like 1.5"...) and see how much clearance remains. For this to get the right results, you need to simulate a cross-axle situation, in other words, you should have next-to-no weight on the other diagonal. Might be easier to achieve using 2 jacks to jack one diagonal.

but in view of the increase in tyre size (you're going from a nominal

205*80% (164) to 235*85 (200, near enough)) which is erm... 36mm, which ain't far off the 1½" I first thought of. You might get away with a 1" lift, depending on how much clearance is built into it in the first place.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have a jack Tim could use ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I don't think anyone can use that thing twice! I was stupid enough once, but I'm not senile / drunk enough to have forgotten yet...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

It's on 235/70 at the moment, which was the standard size for Disco on alloys.

The clearance problem is mostly with the front edge of the rear wing, and it's hard to simulate maximum travel in that direction (up, backwards and outwards all at once).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Merc's G-Wagen has a galvanised chassis. Shame they didn't bother with galvanising the bodyshell, though ...

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:27:48 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

same nominal diameter, near enough, as 205s.

You could do what I said but turn the wheels to full lock.

The jacking should produce the equivalent amount of axle movement as the relevant terrain.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Assuming it had the Freestyle or other optional alloys, that is. The standard 1995 5dr (Castor) alloy still had 205's, IIRC.

Reply to
Llandrovers!