2" lift on a Td5 90 - pitfalls?

Given that the maximum recomended tyre size for a Disco or RR is 235/70, a

235/85 requires you to chop the wheel arches slightly IIRC

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Agreed, but no-one seems to know if I can just chop the arches, or have to lift AND chop, or how much lift would mean no chop.

So I'm taking the easy route and copying Piglet!

Brake upgrade first though...

Martyn - when is Warren back?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Just a thought to add to the confusion:

Unless you space the bumpstops to prevent upward movement of the axle which will reduce your articulation unless you use shocks long enough to replace this travel at the extented end - which will then make the springs fall out of the seat then a lift will not help the tyres fit under the arches on full compression as the wheel will be in the same location ( axle on the bumpstop ) as it was before the lift - this means that the wheels need to fit ok at std ride height anyway !!!! Stick them on and trim the body to suit.....

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

If you want to play with different springs to check how much atriculation you'll get with 'em then have a play on here

Adrian England

David,

Totally agree! The number of times I've seen lifted Discovery's still running the oem size tyre astounds me. They lift the sills I guess....but the main advantage when lifting a Disco is that you can fit 235/85 tyres (after some bodywork cutting at least!). Once equipped with these tyres the Disco does become more able to follow 90's as the axles are the same height from the ground :)

However, COG is affected big time (hence Piglet still retains anti-roll bars to allow on road handling to be usable!). When I added the cage...er....it became even more top heavy :(

Neil Founder

(fun, friendly and FREE) Owner of a lifted 4.6 Disco :) On a mission to add as much weight to the UNDERSIDE of the vehicle as possible!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:03:06 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

mind you, the 90's standard rubber is the same as the disco. You can re-establish the COG to a degree by fitting wheels with more offset - you can go about an inch more without getting outside the body, I should think, and more if you fit eyebrows.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Standard 90 nowadays has 235/85 or 750 x 16 IIRC. Following them in a Disco is a pain on 235/70 'cos you get beached (like I did at Billing).

Wider offset will not change the CoG! It will increase your max rollover angle though.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:21:30 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

erm... well, no not as such. but the problem with higher COG is that of more tendency to tip, and widening the track will counteract that. If the wheels and tyres are heavier, mind, it's possible that they do, in fact, lower the CoG a tiny bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles