200 Tdi alternator replacement

Fellow listers Hi,

the alternator on my 1993 evented ex-Camel Trophy Discovery 200Tdi has died today. It actually got stuck and almost destroyed the alternator belt (started burning with white smoke but was able to stop before the belt was destroyed).

CT Discos were fitted with a larger capacity alternator in order to accomodate for the twin batteries setup and the additional roofrack and bullbar mounted lights, the rear worklamp on the roofrack and of course the Husky winch.

It was rumoured that they used a Transit alternator but nobody knows for sure since no stickers or other signs were to be found on the alternators.

Does anyone have an alternator of around 100 or more Amperes in the A 127 type which can be fitted on the 200Tdi Discovery engines? May I also remind you that the alternator should also have an rpm gauge feed.

And of course a source where it can be found/bought without having to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Thank you in advance for your kind suggestions

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I don't know what alternator would be on a 200 TDi, but the Ford Scorpio alternator is mega powerful and cheap.

Reply to
Pete M

That is non-important. 5 minutes with a soldering iron will add a tacho feed to any alternator.

Reply to
EMB

Yep, just pick up on any AC winding, you may have to find a pulley the right size though.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

But aren't most modern alternators 4 phase ????? guess it just means fiddling the pulley size

Max

Reply to
max

On or around Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:20:41 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

The later transits (TDi) have a vacuum pump drive on the back of the alternator. 2 types fitted, the later ones are 95A. Aside from that, they might or might not work on a TDi.

I don't know what the fattest A127 you can get is, mind. I think there's an

80A one, as well as the standard 65A. The 300TDi has an A133-100, but that's got other things like a fatter pulley shaft, I think. I don't think there's any other reason why you shouldn't fit it though - get a plain pulley and machine the hole bigger - they don't have keys on them.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Pick up a pulse from ONE of the phases, then, if necessary, change pulley to correct the reading if not using standard alternator and therefore pulley.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I would be grateful if you could provide me with more information on this topic.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. I fitted a replacement from a damaged 200Tdi engine that I had sitting in my spare parts depository. Unfortunately it is only 65 A and the rpm feed is dead so no rpr readout on the instruments panel....

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Fellow listers thank you for your kind input,

The alternator that was on the vehicle had a sign on it after all. It states A133 - 80 so I guess it is an A 133 and 80 amperes. It is made by Lucas so I guess the Prince of Darkness has done his magic once more.....

The damage appears to be restricted to only the two bearings so most probably it will be an easy and cheap repair and replacement of the unit will not be required.

Thanks again for your support

Take care Pantelis

alternators.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:43:21 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

If it's an A133-80 then you should be able to fit a 300 TDi one for an extra

20A.

Mind, they're rubbish. Magneti Marelli, talk about prince of darkness, Italian electrics are just as bad...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm

Price Region for 100AMP £150./180

Been there Robbing Sod's Regards Skinty

Reply to
Skinty

Austin thanks,

Taking into consideration the abuse the Lucas A133 80 alternator has seen in its life on the 1993 CT 200Tdi Disco I guess it is more than enough that it lasted for 15 years.....

I prere older designed and manufactured products. Especially British made things may tend to fail occasionaly but the older ones are easy to fix in the field and are almost always repairable. Something that newer products are specificaly designed not to be.

A small example is the FACT that the LUCAS A133 80 alternator has TWO supporting roller bearings. Most newer design alternator and motors only have one roller bearing on the load area and a solid bronze ring bearing on the outer side.

I thing I will search for a secondhand A133 100 or even stronger alternator from a Range Rover V8. Don't they also use the A133 configuration?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

OUCH !!!!

in

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:46:52 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

only later ones, if any.

Reply to
Austin Shackles