2000 Range Rover County Experience

I really enjoy driving my RR. However, the things that have broken down seem excessive. I just wanted to know if I have a lemon or this is common. I only drive it on some weekends and it only has about 30,000 miles.

- the GPS unit had to be replaced (2nd year)

- the steering wheel had to be replaced because the radio control buttons broke (first year)

- the muffler had to be replaced because the heat shield became detached (5th year)

- the cd changer needs to be replaced, it does not recognize CDs (5th year)

- the rear view mirror needs to be changed because the oil in it has dropped causing a visible line (5th year)

- battery has been changed twice because it keeps draining

- I installed a battery disconnect because the alarm or something else makes it turn on and constantly run diagnostics draining the battery

There are several other things, but fortunately till now, no engine problems. I was sadden to see that LR ranked near last in the last JD Powers ranking for quality but can see how they got there.

Reply to
PareReposte

Expecting some sort of sympaphy are we?

Reply to
Dougal

Its called character (most of your "adventures" are known and documented

). Wait 'til it drops a liner or the air suspension collapses to the bump stops!

Best way to think of it is as a lively, mischievous child. Sometimes you wish it was better behaved, but deep down, you love it so much you will forgive any short-comings.

David

1996 4.6SE P38a
Reply to
rads

Join the happy LR experience.

Most of us know all that; the real joy is having something unusual and drives like a real vehicle should. Try the 50 bounce saloon cars with so much comfort you fall asleep. In the end despite JD and the rest, most of the much older vehicles on the road leading a hard everyday life will be LR products. Live with it and enjoy the difference. :-)))

Reply to
Hirsty's

No I think that's below average:

The mirror thing's annoying, my second one's like that. I can't be bothered to change it again. The battery wasn't the fault was it? ...but you don't know until later. The disconnect's good. You soon learn the radio number by heart. The liner slip that wrote off an engine was annoying. The air suspension dropped on you yet? It will. I have a manual over-ride. What about the alarm system doing 'engine disabled' for 30 minutes at a time? Have you had a key electronics fail? Keep the manual instructions in your PDA. Probably more...

Other than that I'm quite happy with mine. nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Even the L322 have failures.

Mine keeps coming up with HDC and suspension failures at 90mph on the motorway.

I cant work out if the suspension pumps right up or drops to the stops.

I have to pull over, turn the engine off, wait 30secs and carry on....

Reply to
Tim Guy

On or around Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:51:28 GMT, PareReposte enlightened us thusly:

frankly, standard exhausts don't last much longer - You need stainless systems to last longer than that. They're only made of mild steel and since they get hot the paint doesn't last that long.

those are doubtless the same fault and are a known issue: it's external electronic stuff communicating on the same frequency as the alarm systems use. Oregon weather stations are one known item. Not right, of course, but you can work around it as you've done.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The main dealers are wankers without exception that i can see. But, come on, you have a few problems & it's the end of the world?

Muffler, what the f*ck is a muffler? I presume you mean exhaust? It's made from steel, it will rust end of chat! My exhaust doesnt have any heatshields, so what do you mean? I have to say though, the P38's tailpipe gets every bit of shit & salt on the roads chucked at it so i can expect a change soon enough.

The battery issue can be sorted for $150 as you need to change your frequency etc.

If you don't like the car sell it, if you do get on with it! The positives way outwiegh the negatives.

Nige

Reply to
Nige