2001 Disco II SE7 Noise

Hello all! I recently purchased a 2001 Disco II SE7 with ACE. I have a couple questions.

  1. Are the brakes supposed to be really mushy? The dealer says that is they way they are.

  1. When I make a corner, I get a lot of noise from the ACE pump. Is this normal?

  2. And finally, the engine seems to have a "whine" to it. Goes up and down with the rpm's. Sounds like a pulley, but not sure if this is normal.

The car was certified by the dealer, so I hope all this is normal.

Thanks for your responses!

-Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hard to tell without driving it, but I wouldn't say mine were mushy.

See below.

The whine you describe sounds like the ACE pump, actually. Hence I'm not sure about your question 2 - are you sure it's the ACE pump you can hear?

The whine is generally noticeable, but shouldn't be abnormally loud. I drove one which was very loud and hence didn't buy it.

Best bet would be to find somebody else with one, and compare. It's hard to get an idea of volumes / noises by newsgroup!

David

Reply to
David French

Button bashing in practice for another round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Jim left Shakespeare to the monkeys by typing...

No. The dealer lied

No

Bearing away somewhere (turn radio off)

The dealer needs to be certified. Or shot. Try similar vehicles. I'm not a 'new' vehicle type but if I was, I'd say try listening to vehicl;es the same under the same conditions and then slap your 'dealer'. Remember, he's certified to remove as much money from your wallet as possible for as little effort as possible. LR dealers are (in my not so humble opinion and after having dealt with more than 50% of the pieces of shit in this humble isle) mainly a waste of space whose sole purpose in life is separating you from as much wonga as possible for the least inconvenience to themselves. And before any LR dealers out there have a go, I know what your business premises cost, how much you pay your mechanics, and how much your 'service' is really worth - when people drive 200miles (400ml round trip) to get their vehicles serviced (MINOR SERVICE), buy OEM for under 50% (under 35% in most cases), and can get service on a Sat. afternoon (LR dealers go f*ck yourselves 'cos you'll never f*ck another customer of mine!). I work with tax-exempt vehicles but more & more newer vehicles get referred to me because we charge (now about £20 p/h - newer premises) reasonable amounts and CARE about the vehicles. I'm in NE Scotland and Town&County & Frank Ogg can go take a flying f*ck because you're both pieces of shit. Test-drive vehicles similar to what you have. The only reason I replied is 'cos we found a vehicle (same spec) similar to yours for a customer and it made no noises like your lying bastard dealer says are normal. And then I had the "we're not interested - it's Sat. afternoon" response. Want a vehicle - ask your local ORC. Main dealers - I hope you all die a horrible and painful death unless you mend your ways - our ethos was right and successful and would have become country-wide if I hadn't gone 'bok'. Two years on and rebuilding....

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

No vehicle should have mushy brakes.

Yes, different vehicle models can have a different brake feel, and you will notice differences, but on such a critical safety system you need to be sure.

It could be a sign of any number of different faults.

Reply to
David G. Bell