2001 Discovery

Hi all I am after a few pointers.

I have previously owned a classic rangie and a P38 (oops), I am now in the market for a Discovery and I have got my eye on a 2001 Y plate 2.5 Td5 ES. Can anyone give me a few pointers as to what bad points I should be looking for please? or are the ones of this age pretty sorted.

Thanks, Barno

Reply to
Barno

They are generally quite good but things to look for are;

  1. On the 7 seat model, rear air suspension bags failing (cheap and easy fix) easy to tell, car will sit really low at back with engine off.
  2. Compressor fail, more expensive and more likely if a leaky bag has been left for a while.
  3. Check dash for warning lights, ABS/ETC light might indicate failed hub sensor which are £200+ to replace.
  4. If car is high miles and auto the gearbox could be an issue, if it has been flushed early in its life then OK but if not watch out.
  5. Unplug the ECU under the bonnet and look for signs of oil in the plug, it can track along the loom and cause misfires etc
  6. Leaky sunroofs, expensive and tricky to fix

Think that's about it. I have owned a couple and not had any real issues other than the ABS hub sensor but it was done under an extended warranty.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks Andy for those pointers, the one I am looking at has done 100000 miles but had a new engine fitted by Land Rover main agents 49000 miles ago, it has also had a new air suspension compressor, so I am hoping that all will be ok and I will be back in the Land Rover fold Yipee.

Barno

Reply to
Barno

Good luck with it, a new engine is a bit drastic for 51000 miles, wonder why? I know some of the earliest TD5's had a problem with a bolt coming loose from the oil pump that then wrecked the engine so maybe that was it. Have they said why the engine was changed?

Andy

Reply to
Andy