2003 Defender Xtreme wheel nut caps

Is there some trick to getting them off?

Reply to
werdan

In message , werdan writes

Defender wheel nut caps do not come off. Unless you have locking wheels nuts. In which case the standard wheel brace will do the trick in the absence of the plastic tube type tool.

Reply to
Marc Draper
=

You struggle for while then break the plastic claw thingy; bash a srewdriver through the cap and try to lever it off. Get arrested for holding a shotgun to the car in a public place.

after that you begin to realize that they dont come off and are taken off with a normal wheelbrace over the cap. Then you have a new ( 6mths in my case ) Defender with a lovely shine and nice chrome bits with a smashed in wheelnut cap !1 :-))

ps get to a local hardware store and buy a decent barbreaker/ socket for the over tight nut/ also if you have locking wheelnuts get to a dealer and buy 2 spare nut keys as they tend to split and distort making it awkward to use them ( especially at the side of a narrow road when its p....ng down.

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Thanks! I do have lock nuts where the covers do come off, hence my confusion.

Reply to
werdan

You pretty much summed up my next course of action and feared result.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that!

Reply to
werdan

Covers - wheel nuts - LandRovers .... what's the world coming to?

Reply to
Dougal

I spent ages looking for the plastic claw thingy, then realised that working the cover gently with the wheelbrace loosened it enough to pull it off by hand. No damage.

Reply to
Richard Brookman
"

Chavs and low lifes with a habit they cant pay for, so we fund it by default.

Reply to
Hirsty's

I've not heard of LR's being called a habit before ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Denial - it's not just a river in Africa :)

Reply to
William Tasso

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I now have three dirty habits :-) One incorporates an intermitant squirter.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Richard Brookman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

I got my Defender 2nd hand and the plastic claw thingy didn't come with it. I found, like you, the wheel brace levers them nicely off. I also found that the wheel brace fits the wheel nuts with covers perfectly. I should have just tried that first I suppose. :-) I also found that the wheel nuts are 1-1/16" and I now have the correct socket that fits my 12volt rattle gun.

Reply to
werdan

On or around Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:58:29 +1100, "werdan" enlightened us thusly:

Best socket I found for LR wheelnuts is a 27mm A/F designed for undoing diesel injectors.

Reply to
Austin Shackles