2003 Discovery - tiny rust spots on roof - paint problems?

All,

My 2003 Discovery SE with 17k miles has small rust spots appearing just above the windshield and on top of the roof. The front face paint of the hood also appears to be really hacked up.

Funny thing, I usually garage the truck and dont drive it a ton.

Land Rover America is rejecting the warranty claim -- even on rust, since, the area manager claims the stones chipped the paint on the roof down to bare metal and now its rusting. Land Rover America is claiming its a result of normal ware and tear.

I can't believe an "luxury off road" 2003 car is doing this, and the company is denying a claim.

Anyone else having similiar problems?

thanks

-Chris

Reply to
cetesse

Rust is, and it continues, and it gets everywhere, at least an aluminium roof can't rust but the roofrack can. There are cars out there that have sat on a car park for a year and are rusty when they are on the dealers forecourt with a new registration.

If you buy a car for the looks you are always going to be distressed by such things, but if you buy it for other reasons and realise that even if the roof develops holes you can patch it, weld it, cover it in duct tape or whatever you will ultimatly be more satisfied with your purchase.

Reply to
Larry

No, the aluminium just turns to white powder shortly before holes appear....same end result

Yes, and his has been shipped thousands of miles as well.

!! I realise that vehicle that come out of Solihull generally need completely rebuilt at half the length of time of their Japenese counterparts (which are disposable) but we're talking about a car which is about two years old, not a twenty year old shed! It's complete unacceptable that ANY rust is showing, especially on the roof.

If I'd spent untold thousands on a new LR only to have rust spots appear within two years then I would also be very unhappy. Land Rover's continual cover ups, build quality issues and design flaws simply mean that Land Rover is losing what reputation they once had for building solid vehicles. I don't understand the negative responses towards new Disco TD5 owners (see Ian Mackay's posts) - IME some (well cared for) Disco TD5's in particular can be real sheds and an embarassment to Land Rover. Posts suggesting that owners learn to live with their vehicle as it is doesn't help things, if owners can be helped to resolve their issues then they're less likely to get rid of their LR sheds and get other makes of vehicles.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Hey, don't knock 20 year old sheds! My 1984 110 has needed, from the looks/from the invoices, 3 new doors, a few quids' worth of welding to the chassis, a bit of hammerite on the pillars, that's it. I'm waiting for the aluminium powder effect though, that sounds interesting :o)

I think it's either fashionable, or in the British mentality, to knock their own. The reason you see so many people working on their Land Rovers all the time? The reason you see so many dogs licking their b*ll*cks. 'cause it's possible!

Most of the german/jap stuff is maintained to tighter limits, ie more capital cost initially, more/quicker replacement of marginal parts at full capital value, more disposal rather than repair, etcetera, covers most of the perceived differences in 'functioning' time. Market share obviously mounts up eventually too, allowing the giants to reduce cost that way.

Of course, I wouldn't be guinea pig for a new LR vehicle, particularly the electronic kind, unless it was free :o)

Mark

Reply to
Mark