2004 Discovery news

Gaydon, 11 August 2003 ­ The Land Rover Discovery, which was substantially revised late last year with a new look and a number of technical upgrades, is further enhanced for the 2004 model year.

The 2004 Discovery¹s off-road ability is improved with a centre-locking differential as standard equipment on the XS and ES specification models. This feature distributes the engine power equally between the driving axles, reducing the risk of wheel slip and enhancing the Discovery¹s already impressive off-road credentials.

For 2004, the Discovery receives additional revisions to enhance its appeal with families. All models now receive the ISOFIX child seat fixing system. This simple, yet universally agreed standard enables any ISOFIX child seat which has been approved for use in a Discovery, to be fitted easily and securely to the vehicle. E and S specification models now gain heated electric door mirrors, a valuable safety addition for winter driving; whilst the GS models also gain a heated front screen, powerfold mirrors, a single slot CD player and twin electric sunroofs.

XS models gain twin electric sunroofs, adding to the ambience of the Discovery¹s interior, a centre-locking differential and an enhanced exterior look with the addition of thicker roof bars. The already comprehensively equipped ES model also receives the centre-locking differential, revised restyled thicker roof bars and interior enhancements in the form of new wood trim for the centre console.

Additionally all Discovery models will be fitted with Automatic Drive-Away Locking. This fully automatic system locks all of the doors as the vehicle moves away. The system will detect when the driver or passengers wish to exit the vehicle and will unlock all of the doors and doors are also unlocked when the engine is switched off.

New colours for 2004 Discovery include Maya Gold and Helsinki Blue. Also available will be Adriatic Blue and Giverny Green, previously only available on the Range Rover. Completing the changes for 2004 are revised badging in Range Rover style with raised lettering in a Brunel finish.

On the road prices for the new 2004 Discovery commence at £22,195 for the five-seat Discovery Td5 in ?E¹ specification, rising to £34,590 for the seven-seat V8 ?ES¹ model with automatic transmission. Also available is a range of Discovery commercial vehicles, which can be adapted for a variety of uses, with prices commencing at £22,995.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

substantially

centre-locking

So what happened to ACE? It's not an available option on 2004 models in USA. We have a 2000 Disco II with ACE and had no problems but there were

2-3 recalls. =20

Curious.

lorendi

Reply to
<lorendi

You are quoting UK specs. Lorendi seems to be saying the US models do not have ACE even as an option. Can't see why, except there aren't as many corners on US roads :-).

Unless there is a technical issue with ACE and a 4.6 V8, which we don't get in the UK, though I can't see any reason why there should be.

Lorendi - does the US model have tyre-pressure monitors?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

It's because the Yanks like cars which have suspension like blancmange and corner like barges. Drive any American car and you'll see this is true.

9-)
Reply to
David French

Seems to be the case. I've just examined the USA LR website, which is still quoting details of the 2003 MY, which has ACE as an option on all models. Until they update their website........

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Sorry, I don't know whether or not the '04 Discoverys in USA have tire pressure monitors. It wasn't mentioned in recent discussions with an LR salesman. He noted that the differences between '03s and '04s were mostly minor cosmetic changes except for the addition of the locking = differential as standard and the elimination of ACE as an option.=20

I recently test drove a VW Touareg that had tire pressure monitors and = was impressed with the quality of that vehicle. It had a 4.2L V8 with = slightly more torque and a lot more hp than the '03 Discovery's 4.6L V8. I was = also impressed by the 6 speed automatic transmission and the many air bags (8) but we elected to stick with LR. Not sure if this is a death wish kind = of decision or just because we thought the LR was more fun to drive!

lorendi

2000 Discovery II w/ACE (soon to replaced by an '03 HSE Discovery) 1997 Mercedes C-230
Reply to
<lorendi

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Aha, so you've made a decision then! Nice one! Keep us informed. Which colour, and is it a stock model or still to be shipped (probably the former, as I suspect the 2004 models have been on the go for a while now in Solihull!).

Reply to
Llandrovers!

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Sorry for the delayed response. There were some issues with the discount from MSRP, the trade-in value of our '00 Disco, and the location of a vehicle with our requirements given the model year end inventory.

We prevailed on all counts....$4K off MSRP, full blue book on our = trade-in (20% more than the dealer originally offered), and an interest rate of

3.84%. I'm not usually that good of a negotiator so I'm feeling pretty good about the deal.

The White Gold (our third color choice - Vienna Green was first, then Alveston Red) vehicle was located in Georgia and finally arrived in = Austin, TX after being shuffled around Texas for over two weeks. I expected to = see some scratches or extra miles but it wasn't so. Some days the dealer did not even know where the car was! (What a tracking system.) Anyway, we picked it up yesterday and are totally delighted. It's an HSE (5 seat),

4.6L , which includes SLS with remote, Park Distance Control, = Navigational system (GPS), and premium sound system w/CD changer.

Still have not seen the 2004 models. The '03 is a much quieter, smoother ride than the '00. We plan to keep this one for quite a while but time will tell.

New cars are fun!

lorendi

Margaret & Loren Block Georgetown, TX C22 #14903 "Perfect Harmony"

Reply to
<lorendi

Tell me about it! Any excuse for a drive!! I've just spent the weekend on a

500 mile round trip to the aforementioned (on the NG) Peterborough LRO Show, stopping off on the way to visit relatives and do some shopping etc. Great fun!
Reply to
Llandrovers!

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Is the '03 Discovery worth a drive? Sure! The '03 w/V8 is a more powerful, smoother, quieter vehicle. Compelling to buy when you = currently have a 2000? Not so sure about that. We had a serious accident with our '00 Discovery and it never did feel quite right after that. The dealer checked and rechecked but could not find the cause of "sticky" steering that would not always recover from a left turn properly. Then we were beginning to lose confidence in the ACE system, having been through = several recalls with and noting that it's not offered on the '04s.

We're enjoying the new vehicle but are having some minor problems. "Service Engine Soon" light stays on all the time, the right channel of = the sound system is not working, and the trailer wiring harness does not have all signals wired. But we're optimistic that all this will be worked out and no additional problems will occur.

Cheers,

lorendi

=20

Reply to