200tdi dipstick

While attempting to clean the inside of the dipstick, I managed to accidentally remove it! It seems to be a push fit into the plug on the engine block. The problem is that I don't know how far into the sump the tube should be.

Could someone measure how far the dipstick tube protrudes from the block on a 200Tdi?

cheers, G

Reply to
Gromit

should

Isn't there a gland, below which is fitted an O-ring? If so just push in as far as it will go.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

That's right. Also if you know how the oil level was on the dipstick before the outer tube removal; put the dipstick back into the tube and push the lot home. Double check on the dipstick for hight. Frank ................................................

: > Could someone measure how far the dipstick tube protrudes from the : > block on a 200Tdi? : >

: > cheers, : > G : : Isn't there a gland, below which is fitted an O-ring? If so just push : in as far as it will go. : : Huw : : : --- : Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. : Checked by AVG anti-virus system

thesnowbaron

I ruined a good engine because of this. On my 90 the oil light kept coming on on cornering and braking. I checked the oil, and it was on the mark. I tried to blame an electrical short, but the wiring was OK. Eventually I decided that the pick up pipe from the oil pump must have worked loose, so prepared to drop the sump. Only about a quart of oil came out, and on investigation I found that the dipstick pipe was loose, and must have pushed into the engine a little bit every time I checked the oil. As far as I can remember there was no stop on the pipe, it's just a matter of measuring it as you say. I brazed a nut on my tube so it couldn't happen again.

Barleycorn

Reply to
Barleycorn

Unfortuately, I can't measure against the oil level as I was changing the oil at the time. The tube seems to be further in than is originally was.

Would be most grateful if someone could measure theirs and let me know.

Cheers,

Gromit