200tdi lift pump problem

Having just rebuilt my 90 onto a galvanised chassis and bulkhead I am unable to get the 200tdi diesel lift pump to prime. I have taken the pump off the engine and it appears to do sod all when pumped, I even put a bubble of fairy liquid across the inlet & outlet and the don't so much at twitch when I pump the mechanism. Is it possible that the lift pump had failed some time ago and that the engine was keeping fuel flowing with the injection pump alone? otherwise how can a lift pump have failed in the week that the engine was out of the car? or am I doing something wrong here or is there a trick to getting the thing primed? Thanks, Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

On the one and only occasion I ran out of diesel, I found it took nearly

15/20 minutes of pumping to get the lift pump to move the fuel from the tank to the filter.

Of course, when you run completely out of fuel, the fuel line is empty. I would recommend you to open the fuel filter inlet and spin the engine for several seconds at a time and if fuel appears then shut the inlet and use the lift pump to purge the system from there on (by which time you will likely have flattened the battery!)

Regards

David

Reply to
David J. Button

Cheers, just cut the pump up to have a look and the washer that was soldered to the bottom of the diaphragm linkage has snapped off, why can't they be servicable like the old series pumps? New pump it is then. Thanks, Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall