200tdi or 300tdi

I have a 86 rangy and i'm looking into putting in either the 200tdi or the

300tdi. which is better suited and which is more reliable?

rob

Reply to
rob

Cant say about which will fit best but as for the engines...

I have heard some people say the 300tdi is better than the 200tdi. EQUALLY i have heard people saying the 200tdi is better than the

300tdi... Not that that answers your question!

Both engines are more or less identical - performance, power and torque wise.

200tdi boost about 0.8 bar, 300Tdi about 1bar

300Tdi: Is supposedly a bit more refined and quieter when cold If the EGR is still connected a bit better for the environment Has a habit of chewing cam belts if not previously had the "issue" sorted. Uses the R380 Gearbox (reverse below 5th) Usuallt takes a few turns more to start (just my experience) Is partially electronic controlled (I believe the reason for this originally was to reduce emissions to come in line with EU reguilations at the time)

200Tdi Completely mechanical - not electronic brain Uses the LT77 Gearbox (Reverse next to 1st) Has a habit of wearing mainshaft gears in gearbox at about 150k miles unless kept brimming with oil

I think if i where in your shoes i would pick the newest / lowest mileage / "best" engine you could find. It doesnt matter whether its a 200 or 300. Then look to source a suitable gearbox.

Someone may suggest one of the engines is much harder ti fit though and then that answers your question for you!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:58:21 +1000, "rob" enlightened us thusly:

either, both. The 300 TDi is slightly more refined (but make sure you get the black rubberoid engine cover :-))

both engines are long-lived if properly maintained - if you're buying secondhand, you really want to see some sort of history or maintenance records, or at least see it running.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:58:21 +1000, "rob" enlightened us thusly:

If you like to listen to the radio, go for a 300Tdi!

You can, of course, listen to the radio in a 200. But expect premature deafness.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around 15 Oct 2004 14:36:09 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

hehe.

the Rangie, however, probably has better sound insulation than the 90.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks all for your replies. Iguess its really comes to a matter of availabilty,reliability and comfort. I can sorce both engine types. (both around the same mileage) so comes to reliability. The belt issue seams to pop up as a concern all over the net as does the noise issue. So i was able to find a noise deadening kit to suit the 200tdi so i think thats basically resolved the issue. 200tdi it is

thanks again

Reply to
rob