210 vs Politicians gas guzzlers !

What a bunch of b)*&^ hypocrytes. They have a choice big car / little car guess what they choose ( remember we tax insure and run it for them ) I'm in the wrong job, I think I'd like to vote my own salary, get a free car, a nice expense account and bonk the hired help as well !!

Reply to
Hirsty's

I can hardly wait -its got to be entertaining to go into a main post office on saturday and wait for a 7 series BMW owner to go ballistic while the postmaster tries to work out what the hell it should be with a huge queue behind suffering another piece of ill thought out legislation. A

Reply to
Derek

I thought it was on new cars only - there again I'd had a couple by the time the news was on last night . . . .

Reply to
Buzby

The new Band G is for new cars (well ones registered from today) all car registered previous to today remian in the band that were in. The rate for each band has gone up but that is fairly simple to convert, even for a post master.

Amazing how people believe the spin put on a story by the media without checking what the facts are. Oh well, the Journos motto "Never let the truth get in the way fo a good story".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:08:14 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

There's a bit in the Times today bemoaning the fact that the new super-band catches mondeos, while it fails to adequately penalise Prince Charles's armour-plated bentley which makes 495g of CO2. This, of course, is crap.

In the first place, ordinary 1.8 mondeos, I bet, don't do more than 226g of CO2, and if they do, they're soddign inefficient. Making the top-of-the-range go-faster mondeo pay more is to an extent justified. The other and much more pertinent point is that there's only one of HRH's bentley, whereas there are about a million mondeos - and even if HRH's Bentley is in use 24/7/365, it's not going to pollute as much as a million mondeos.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As Dave points out the spin put on by the papers is jolly nice but the CO2 figures available at Parkers provided you dig a bit are more fun ( I checked those before I posted) a Focus 2.5 ST is a right side of the border 224 gm A BMW 740i auto hits 267 gm whereas 730 Ld cool at 216gm the last of the mundanos 1.8sci Ghia est 179gm oddly the weasel power 2.0 TDCi Ghia X 198gm now as I suggested the band difference between a 4.2 Supercharged Rangie at 374gm seems mingy against car falling into the just below the line Focus or the 423 gms of a Bentley Mulsanne of course if you can afford to buy either of the top end motors £20 is going to bother you about as much as the flies which stick to the bonnet at motorway speeds. Hats off to the band A owners who will benefit UK sales were supposed to be in single figures bet nobody gets killed in the rush then. I still stand by my suggestion re the Post Office btw you cannot win I objected to my old Rangie being described as a BL Rover much good it did me when I taxed it. Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" wrote >>

Some interesting vehicles are over the 225CO2g/km and most of them are cars, mostly fast big engined cars tis true, but certainly not all "gas guzzling

4x4's" as the media would have us believe. With most 4x4's being diesel powered quite a few of the smaller type come under the "G" limit, like all Suzukis and RAV4s.

The Ford Mondeos that are over the 225 limit are the V6s, 2.5 (244) and 3.0 (249). Interestingly the 5 cylinder Focus 2.5T ST comes out at 224 (Volvo engine).

All Landrover products are over the limit except TD4 Freelanders.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Does his Bentley run on LPG? - I know they were doing one for his mum.

Reply to
hugh