2a chassis number - predicament

Hello all,

I am in the process of swapping the reg number of my old trialler over to my not to old 90. I have filled in the V317 from the DVLA and written out the cheque. However, I have one problem. The chassis number is missing from the 2a as that part of the chassis rusted away and has been replaced with a new dumb iron.

The thing that worries me is that if I have to have the vehicle inspected then the DVLA might end up giving me a "Q" registration or something. WOuld an inspector be sensible enough to realise that the chances of a 42 year old chassis being 100% original is slim

Answers on a postcard

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Get a chassis plate made up, screw it to the bulkhead. When they ask to inspect the chassis number, show them the plate. If they ask for a number on the chassis then tell them they'll have to find it, as you only know the one on the plate.

Worked for me on more than one occasion.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
Rory Manton

FWIW a brief survey I did a few years ago revealed that only about 1 in

10 Series Motors and 90/110 have serial numbers stamped into the chassis. This applies to original, unrepaired chassis. It would seem that actually stamping the serial number into the chassis was a bit hit and miss (mainly miss !) at Solihull.

My 110 didn't have a chassis number on the chassis and neither did my Series 3 or the Range Rover chassis that went under it. SWMBO's 90 doesn't have a number (1998) and neither did my 1980 Range Rover.

A number of people have said that it's difficult to spot but on each of these vehicles I have been up close and personal with the bare chassis, wire brushed every inch and painted it. I can tell you that the LH chassis rail of my 110 (now 100 inch) was fabricated in July 1989 abd the RH chassis rail was fabricated in August 1989 because that IS stamped into the chassis rails. No number though.

LR have a long history of relying on the bulkhead plate for the chassis number with either the screw on type of the Series motors or the later style VIN plate on the top of the bulkhead. If you have a serial number stamped on the chassis as well then you are in the minority.

The easy solution, of course, is to make sure that the number stamped into the chassis is there and matches the bulkhead plate.... screwfix do a nice set of punches that are ideally suited for this task ! Punch the number into the chassis, paint the whole chassis and no more problem.

I'm doing this before I ship my 100 inch to Australia to make sure I don't have any problems bringing it back in to the UK.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Where are you going to go in Australia

Adam

Reply to
Adam Bryce

I'm competing in the outback challenge so based around Broken Hill NSW.

We'll be shipping into Melbourne, taking a detour to Sydney to visit friends/relatives and then on to Broken Hill for the start of the event. I'll have to see what state my motor is in after the challenge before planning for anything afterwards :-)

I'll only be there for three weeks including the event, a week either side of the event.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

many thanks for all you suggestions. I'm hoping that they won't want to inspect the vehicle as its always been registered and been taxed and insured for a good few years, that and the fact i'd have to tow the bloody thing to Swansea (60+ miles) as thats my local station. If they do ask for one i'll just have to do something about it. Now then, wheres my Screwfix catalogue.........

Reply to
Dave Reynolds