2nd heater matrix

I am toying with the idea of fitting a second heater matrix (with fan) to my Defender 110 (I know, strange time of year to be thinking about this, but when it freezes I don't fancy working at it for too long).

My question is this: should I put it in series or in parallel with the existing matrix? The former has the disadvantage that the water might be cooled so much by the 1st matrix that the 2nd does do much good. The latter would mean that there is less resistance to flow in the heater branch; will this hamper the cooling of the engine?

Thanks for any ideas.

Pieter

Reply to
pieter

We put an extra one in parallel with the first a couple of years ago. both heaters worked fine. Richard

Reply to
Richard

In principle, you'll get more flow with them in parallel than you will with them in series, so you'll get more heat out of the system - which is the whole point, really.

Unless you live in a *really* cold climate, unlike anything we get in the UK, I wouldn't worry too much about overcooling the engine with an extra heater matrix.

Reply to
QrizB

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that either, but that's just instinct and ignorance speaking :-)

You'll have to hope someone else has some facts for you ...

Reply to
QrizB

May I propose another simpler solution? How about fitting a 12V electric heater/fan? Those work especially well for heating up the rear passengers feet/face etc.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Ive tried two different 12v fan heaters, both about as good as a chocolate teapot. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard Hi,

I guess it was to do with your application being used in the UK and the one I know of being used in Greece where winters are not so cold.

Unfortunately I do not know the brand of the heater fans used so I can not comment.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos