3/4"drive Socket set metric or imperial

Hi, I am doing more and more work on my 96 300TDi and my standard imperial socket set is not big enough, so do I need a 3/4 drive imperial set or metric, and has anyone recommendations on the brand I should buy. Many Thanks Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Dean

You don't need 3/4" drive for the vast majority of Land Rover work. 1/2" is quite big enough. 3/4" is overkill and you'll end up regretting your purchase.

If you have an existing 1/2" set just add extra bits as you need them. If what you have is smaller than 1/2", I'd go for a metric 1/2" set for

1996 vintage and younger.

Whatever you do, go for quality rather than quantity. It'll pay in the long run.

It's often better to pick and choose individual items more suited to yout actual needs rather than go for a set that has lots of wierd bits that'll never get used. As an example, you may wish to get some specific single hex. sockets instead of bi-hex. ones for those horrible little

10mm A/F nuts that round themselves off even before you touch them with a spanner.

If you do really need some 3/4" bits you'll probably get away with a knuckle bar, a few very specific sockets and possibly a short extension.

Reply to
Dougal

I have done everything on my Landies with a 1/2" drive set (both metric and imperial), supplemented with big FO sockets as needed.

A good selection of metric and imperial sockets will almost [1] guarantee you will have a socket to fit any nut or bolt you come across. Halfords do reasonably priced single sockets, and I've never had a problem with them.

[1] *Almost*.
Reply to
Rich B

I'd go for a metric 1/2" set

Eh? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

ROTFL. It all makes perfect sense until you point that out.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Halfords Pro series tools are pretty damn good quality.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Just started the rebuild on my 2a 1966 down to a new galv chassis (the holy grail). Using my 3/8" or 1/2" sq dve ( of 30 year pedigree) they've been perfectly adequate with copious quantities of release oil so far. However the exception was the steering box support bracket bolts and the rear tub to chassis bolts at the back, both of which required 4 1/4" circular hi speed abrasive sockets to remove :-) .

Now I need some advice on buying bits. Springs, bushes, Marsland .v. Richards etc.

Any comments here?

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Bayton

Yep you can't call yourself an Landy Enthusiast unless you have an angle grinder though shearing the buggers off with air impact wrench is even more fun

you need odd sizes of sockets Silverline are pretty good and they do 30&32mm shallow sockets which are the dogs danglies for bottom crank bolts

Derek

"Eddy Bayton" wrote...........

Marsland? Chassis you mean? Wouldn't use anything else but a Marsland chassis.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Halfords Professional range is good value for money.

Reply to
hugh