3.9 weird starting problems

Checked this morning and multimeter gives reading for coolant temp sensor at 4.77K & for fuel temp sensor 4.63 K, so looks like these two are not the problem. Disco still refuses to start with dizzy in the correct 6 BTDC position ...

Reply to
rusty_brits

Just seen this thread....! Has it got one of those stupid useless unreliable "advance and retard" amps, as sold by Retard Pricing Initiatives? If so, remove it and try with the wiring back to normal as this is exactly the sort of things you get when they fail (which they all do, with alarming regularity!) Also, check the dizzy bobweights for correct full and FREE operation, also while you're in there check the vacuum capsule on the dizzy hasn't burst (although that won't actually cause this particular issue though). For all the cost, I'd chuck on a new ignition amp module - if anyone has issues getting the correct part, it's the same as a mini metro one ( !!!! ). Check very carefully the dizzy cap for signs of internal tracking as that can cause weird issues when cold. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks for reply.

The beast is factory standard apart from Leonardo LPG kit, so no advance/retard amp.

Have checked the dizzy cap and could find no trace of internal tracking, but will fit a new genuine parts - can't hurt.

Is it possible that coil output is not strong enough when starting from cold - grasping at straws here ?

Cheers, will report if/when I find the fault.

Reply to
rusty_brits

Could be. Is it basically a 9v coil fed by a resistive lead which is by-passed on starting? I had this problem on a Renault 12 many years ago.

I also had the opposite problem to you on a VW Transporter T4- wouldn't start when warm but OK when cold. Very embarrassing at filling stations. This was due to some electronic device around the distributor.- don't know exactly what or where, local auto electrician fixed it.

Reply to
hugh

Ok, that rules that piece of RiPoffInternational crud out of the equation then. Leo. is a very good and very reliable LPG controller, it takes an input from the ignition for an rpm signal but it has no output back. Might be worth just disconnecting the rpm trigger lead (should be a brown wire, connected to the coil -ve terminal) and seeing if that makes any sort of difference. It wouldn't be the first time something weird like that has happened on a cars electrics.... Check also that the correct resistor is installed at the coil for the connection to the petrol ecu's rpm input lead, it's a little black lump about the size of 2 lucar connectors with 2 lucar spade terminals, one either end. If it isn't there, then it's possible that there might be some weird back-emf thing going on whilst cold cranking... I'm clutching at straws here, can you tell?

Good call - check the box before paying, if it says made in china or made in italy on the cap, throw it back and demand a Lucas one!

It is possible, but I really can't see how timing would be affected or adjustment thereof would make any difference..... It's a straight 12v setup on the 3.9 - no resistive leads or ballasts to contend with. Coil is readily available from your local Partco, again, same part number as a mini metro!!!

Ah, the ignition amp module - another common failing. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

People hi,

Isn't the 3.9/4.2 Efi system fitted with the fuel temperature sensor? Could this be the culprit?

Sensor fails to give the appropriate information to the ECU when the fuel (and the engine) is cold.

Badger do we have the resistance information for this sensor? (if in fact the 3.9/4.2 Efi system does have one, which I believe it does on the fuel injector rail)

Take care everybody Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Yes

Unlikely, but..... Change made to fuelling in relation to fuel temp is minimal, almost negligible in comparison to water temp.

Same as coolant sensor (same part!) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Badger thanks (and sorry for the late reply, was away from my computer with the newsgroup access)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos