3 Weeks In...

Three weeks into ownershop of my very first Landy and settling into the quirks of a TD5 Defender. Wonderfull machine! Its my main form of transport and everytime I come home from work in it I'm grinning from ear to ear. Can't wait to get back out in it. Bags of character, no other vehicle I've owned has ever done that for me. I feel like Ray Mears.

Couple of questions someone might be able to answer for me though: When I indicate, the traffic indicator on the dash blinks as you would expect but just for the first blink of the indicator, a green symbol of a trailer also illuminates? I don't have a tow bar or tow electrics fitted - is this normal? (I'm still under warranty so no big problems sorting it out).

Also, starting from cold on the morning, 2nd gear can be a bit of a pig to get into but once I've warmed up it gets easier. This could be me adjusting to the life of the Landy (last vehicle was a Golf GT TDI) but I also wondered if it was anything to do with the way I'm leaving it parked on my moderately sloping drive overnight? I reverse up and leave in reverse with the handbreak on?

Still Grinning... Dennis

Reply to
DB4

Trailer warning lamp flashing on first blink is normal but second synchro might turn into a warranty issue but, nice one, keep on grinning!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Fairly normal. Is it in warranty? If so get it looked at. If out, change the oil for a fully synthentic MT75D from difflock.com, look there for some good advice as well. Will improve the change but they are all notchy around 2nd to some degree.

Hope the grin factor stays!!

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA (with R380 gbox) Medway military Vehicle group
sean101ryan

My view is the opposite...

I don't see why the trailer light should flash at all when there is nor trailer wiring or trailer...

2nd was notchy on the box that failed on the M6 Shap. The replacement box was really notchy, so much so that I took to double declutching 1st to 2nd for the first 10mins of any run from cold. It is now fine though, now that might be just that the recon box has done 10,000 miles and is now run in or the fact that the temp is no longer at or below freezing overnight...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When a trailer and associated wiring is fitted and connected then the trailer light will flash continuously with the main indicators unless a trailer flasher lamp is faulty or the warning lamp bulb is blown, the warning lamp bulb being checked by one flash whether the trailer is wired or not.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes - it's a sort of self-test do you know the bulbs ok.

It's probably not a problem, but personally I'd raise it with the dealer so it's recorded if it gets worse. If it does you can always say you told them about it and gave them the chance to do something about it.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 09:33:13 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

doesn't mean the trailer blink thing actually works as it should though. ours does the self-test bit but doesn't blink when the trailer's connected, which is a fat lot of use. The one on the 110 used to work as intended.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 09:33:13 +0100, beamendsltd || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Yes - it's a sort of self-test do you know the bulbs ok. ||| || || doesn't mean the trailer blink thing actually works as it should || though. ours does the self-test bit but doesn't blink when the || trailer's connected, which is a fat lot of use. The one on the 110 || used to work as intended. -- || Austin Shackles.

my opinions are just that || Blue: The sky is blue for a reason. Blue light is a source of || strength and harmony in the cosmos. Create a blue light in your || life by telephoning the police || from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.

Yes, it's a bulb test, nothing more.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

101's trailer light flashed when either indicator are applied for the first flash. It's a feature of certain relays basically.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Same as RRC too.

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Well on a 101 I guess you have to cater for the dimest squadie but in "car"? I think the trailer light flashing each time I put the indicators on would cause me to take the bulb out... especially if there is no trailer wiring present.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, as explained before, it does have a use, with or without trailer or wiring, but if you prefer, I suppose you could remove all the warning lamps from the dash if they bother you that much. I prefer to watch where I'm going except for the occasional cursory glance. Oh, and there are two 'm's in dimmest, and two 'd's in squaddie. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 21:00:37 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

you just ignore it. It's actually dead handy if it works properly when you DO have a trailer on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 17:39:35 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but the relay is supposed to flash that light when you add more load (i.e. trailer indicator) - you normally find that it flashes when you have the hazards on as well, for the same reason. The one on the disco doesn't.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I can't see what use the trailer warning light has when there is no trailer wiring and no trailer.

There is a use if you have trailer wiring *and* trailer connected to tell you that it's lights are functioning correctly. But without a trailer connected why do you *need* to test the bulb every time you indicate?

We aren't talking about the normal indicator repeater light remember.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you decide to fit a trailer and wiring at a later date then it saves you pulling the dash apart to fit one (a warning lamp that is), or maybe they bought too many in, or maybe it's put there to distract your attention so that you may find a trailer parked without lights, who knows? :-)

Or not (functioning correctly), as the case may be.

But without a trailer

I don't know, but there are lots of things people do when they don't *need* to, perhaps it just makes them happy. :-)

Yes, I *do* remember.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On my 110, when towing my dad's 4'x3' trailer, it's the only way I know the trailer is still attached - apart from the occasional glimpse of it in the mirror on really tight turns!

Andy Fox

1986 110 V8
Reply to
Andy Fox

:-D I guess if a light irritates you that much then a 101 certainly wouldn't be your cup of tea.

Personally I just don't notice it anymore / shut off to it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I think landrover/old car ownership makes it very easy to 'tune out' and ignore the annoying flashy lights or rattles that vehicles can have.

I lived with a rattle from the front end of my car for around 10k miles till i finally snapped and fixed it last month, and i keep getting told by passengers that the noisy bearings in my alternator that rattle between 2k and 2.5k rpm are incredibly annoying but i can't hear them anymore..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Usually the cessation of a noise means the culprit has fallen off.

Reply to
GbH