300 not starting sometimes

Just got my CSW 90 300 back from its annual service.

For the last year or so, every couple of months it won't start, just a click as nothing very much happens when you turn the key..

Try the starter fifteen or twenty time and it starts, and works ok for the next few weeks...

Anyway, the man said "It may be the earthing strap underneath, we'll look"

It wasn't...

"It may be the solenoid, it'll cost about £30 plus about £30 fitting, if it's not a serious problem you can probably live with it though..."

Any suggestions?

Reply to
William Black

Sounds like my old td5 starter motor failure.

Reply to
Nige

Can you figure out where the click comes from? There's a low-current trigger line attached to the starter motor that tells the motor to engage, I had a similar problem that was intermittent, the trigger line wasn't making good contact. Just removing and refitting it from the starter did the job. It's easy to spot, it's the only wire going to it that's not about as thick as your little finger!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Down and towards the front. From somewhere near the fusebox.

Reply to
William Black

Sounds like a relay under the fuse cover (which is fine), but no click from the starter so it's not engaging. First of all I'd take the trigger connector off the starter and give it a damned good clean and see how that goes, otherwise do as the chap says and change the solenoid.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

OK thanks.

My chap says 'You've got breakdown insurance, it's not a disaster if it takes ten minutes to get going (which it true) run it until it dies and we'll sort it out then...

Reply to
William Black

Seen this before, turned out to be a dodgy relay at the fuse box and a bad earth in the same location! badger.

Reply to
Badger

Id agree that the clicking is likely to be the relay. you just dont notice it when the starter actually goes too.

My starter used to do this. it eventually got worse and worse until i took it off and got it rebuilt. They said it was very knackered inside!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Duff starter i reckon

Reply to
Nige

I had exactly the same problem, gradualy gets worse and worse, swapping relays, starters made no difference, RAC out on various occasions, its favorite spot to fail was the local garage and seemed to be hot engine related, but actually the root cause is the alarm system which is causing a drop in voltage somewhere, also affects the glow plugs, these barely make 10 volts on mine and certainly dont glow!

Gave up trying to fix it and bypassed the entire alarm circuit - everything now works ok.

Chris G

Reply to
rocket1182

I'd noticed the hot engine thing and wondered about that but rejected it as irrelevant. It always seems to start ok when it's parked outside the house but when it fails it's in the local supermarket car park or at the pub rather than in some carpark far away after a longish run.

As it's a CSW it has the Range Rover alarm system of the period and I gather that this has been changed a lot since my car was new in 1996...

Reply to
William Black