300 Tdi Defender Door Hinge Bolts

On the weekend, I decided to try to pump some "Waxoyl" into the bulkhead of the Defender. I wanted to get it down into the channels that the door hinges bolt into, so I thought that by removing the top door hinge bolt, I might gain access for the tube.

Well I loosened the bolt, then I heard a tinny crumbling sound and the bolt now spins freely in the hinge, but will not come out.

I assume there WAS some sort of chassis clip that the bolt engages into, that has probably rusted and subsequently broke when I applied brute force to it.

Has anybody experienced a similar problem, and if so do you have any suggestions on how to proceed. I am not game to undo any of the other bolts in case it happens to them as well, and my doors sag!

Regards

Scott Forbes

Reply to
Scott

I wanted to get it down into the channels that the door hinges

They use a square nut held captive in a steel clip which in turn clips into a square hole in the bulkhead. Unfortunately the clip rusts and either comes unclipped or allows the nut to rotate.

Once this happens an option is to drill out the the screw but remember you will still need to get the other screw to release the hinge out in order to replace the captive nut.

Regards getting Waxoyl in there: If you use a long thinnish probe on your sprayer it is possibe to thread it up into the bulkhead via the bottom of the pillar above the chassis bulkhead outrigger. At least this will save you disturbing the hinge bolts on the other side!

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Further to my last the captive nut Part No's I have are MRC 2176 or ASR 1459 for later vehicles from VIN (V) WA 138480

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I have a second row door with one of the hinge bolts effectively screwed into nothingness at the bottom.

There was not a lot left of my bulkhead where the front door hinges were recently, the only solution was welding repair patches to the bulkhead in the end.

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for the support and advice, much appreciated.

Regards Scott

Reply to
Scott

On or around Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:49:35 GMT, "Scott" enlightened us thusly:

2
Reply to
Austin Shackles

anymore offers?

4!

Reply to
Richard

So Austin Shackles was, like

a-1-2-3-4

Reply to
Richard Brookman

1-3-4-2 surely!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, ready for sale! Make me an offer! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

(n + 1) ! Hehhehhehhehheh..........

Maybe the following is worth a read... Happens all the time doesn't it ! :)))) ...and why not!!

... frodo.

____________________________________________________________________ A lesson in Posting ( that has 'done the rounds' recently):

*How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?* 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs 53 to flame the spell checkers 41 to correct spelling/grammar flames 6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp" 15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct 156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy" 109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group 203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped 111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty 27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs 14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's 3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group 33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too" 12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy 19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three" 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ 44 to ask what is a "FAQ" 4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?" 143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs" 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

frodo

On or around Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:44:25 +0000 (UTC), "Simon Isaacs" enlightened us thusly:

nah...

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

(and yes, i did look in the book)

and for a bonus point... which engine is:

1-4-2-5-3-6?
Reply to
Austin Shackles
2.6l I suppose ?

Reply to
Richard

On or around Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:21:57 +1000, snipped-for-privacy@wherever.inOz (frodo) enlightened us thusly:

[snip]

and I reckon we should add:

1 to repost the thing about "how many posters does it take to change a light bulb".

to the end of it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:29:14 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

(at the top, tsk....)

only by chance, if it is. 's not the one I was thinking of.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles wrote:)

Essex or Cologne?

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 27 Oct 2004 15:24:18 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

close enough... Cologne. I dunno if the Essex is the same.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

///....

Hehhehheh....... Quite clever, Austin. :)))..... I should've thought of that ! I hadn't seen it before and wanted to share it in the light of the 'numerical' build ups :)........ I guess we _all_ fit some of the categories from time to time! :)))

...frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Thought so, that's what was/is in your XR4 isn't it? I used google to find out. It seems that some V6's fire in 1-2-3-4-5-6 order according to info I found.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 28 Oct 2004 07:31:16 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

how boring. Yes, it is in the XR4x4, and the latter is sitting in the front drive looking reproachfully at me every time I drive in the gate.

Reply to
Austin Shackles