300 Tdi Disco Tachometer

Hi all,

'96/'97 Disco 300 Tdi manual, Tachometer needle is a little erratic, well, very erratic, especially at low to medium revs. ISTR there was a simple fix for this but googling doesn't seem to reveal it, or maybe my searching doesn't ... ;)

Anyone any clues?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Fri, 5 May 2006 09:00:02 +0100, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

loose connection to the W terminal on the alternator, and/or alternator going flaky.

On a 200 TDi, it can be alternator drive belt slack, but on a 300 TDi the serpentine belt mostly either runs or doesn't.

195 quid plus vat for a replacement alternator here, the other weekend - front-end bearing had seized and collapsed, taking the casing with it. Parts supplier kindly took the surcharge off, too - I was expecting to have to pay that, 'cos I doubt there's much salvageable on the old unit.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

Cheers Austin. I'll have a look later, when I get a o tuit.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Hi Paul,

Mine was the W connector - took dealer here 4 efforts to fix it - they were just cleaning the conector - only got fixed when they crimped a new spade clip on.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

On or around Fri, 5 May 2006 19:21:29 +0200, "Graham Carter" enlightened us thusly:

seen the same on a couple of 'em. Dunno why the spade connector, except perhaps that it makes it more difficult to connect the wires wrong way round. The one I've just put on the tranny has captive-nut things like the disco has on the D+ terminal, for both of them.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

You were both right.

The connector came off wayyyy too easily, a completely dead tach proving I had the right wire, and a quick spray of contact cleaner had it working better but still intermittently hiccuping. After a good look at the connector I decided, as you say, to make sure the spade was well attached, and in the end soldered [1] the spade to the wire. The bugger won't come loose again in a hurry ;)

Many thanks.

[1] I race electric model cars and used a very high temperature solder and iron, so it _should_ be OK.
Reply to
Paul - xxx

There can be problems with a soldered joint, rather than using a properly crimped connector. I gather it's a side effect of the solder wicking up with wire, and leading the the wired being differently strained when it flexes. If you think about it, one of your models has an incredibly short operating life, compared to a car.

But I know the temptation of a hot soldering iron.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I think the damage is maybe due to flux residue rather than the solder

Reply to
GbH

On or around Tue, 09 May 2006 11:34:07 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

I thought it was that the heat alters the properties of the copper. But there is also a question of strain relief and vibration. By soldering, you generally end up with a short rigid section of wire, and the flex point moves to the end of that. On a crimped terminal, there's usually some kind of strain relief in the bit that grips the outer casing of the wire.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

Hence why I mentioned my hobby ... I've soldered only where the connection would be crimped, a very quick job, a very short solder section and little to no wicking, but an extremely solid joint, finished with a short length of heat-shrink wrap.

I'm happy it'll last. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Putting my ex-Wireman hat on - crimped joints should *never* [1] be soldered, a crimp is a flexible joint (the the individual wires in the cable are free to move a bit), wheras soldering will make it rigid, effectively turning cabe into a single wire which will shear when bent (flexed), as in almost all automtive applications.

Richard

[1] there are exceptions, mostly heavy current applications like car battery leads and electrical supply, but only where the joint has been designed that way.
Reply to
beamendsltd

I confess to a modified trick on that.

I crimp the wire grip and quick solder it. Quick as in not melting the insulation. Hence I have a waterproof bond between the metals. Cool it, normally by 'fizzing' in on the soldering iron sponge then crimp the grip on the insulation so I still have the slight flex as a strain relief. Then silicon grease, then a rubber (not solid plastic) shroud. I've never had to go back and rework a connection I did like that and that's on boats.

I think the problem with soldering a crimp is that you destroy all the give in the insulation crimp and throw the flex onto the metal-to-metal join. Going to sea everything flexes.

nigelH

***
Reply to
Nigel Hewitt