300 tdi Engine Water Leaking

Hi All

Engine Water Leaking & Cant Find Were No Lose of Power No Boiling Up or Over Heating or Oil In Water & Have Checked All Pipes etc still cant find Leak

Any Help out There ?

Regards Skinty

Reply to
Skinty

I had a similar mystery leak in my 300Tdi... turned out to be the timing cover gasket. There was a giveaway greenish coolant stain near the leak site and flowing backwards. Could this be the problem?

In a non-landrover, I did once have trouble tracing a water leak that turned out to be the water pump weeping (though very, very slowly). Might pay to check that out too.

If it is, can I strongly suggest that you whack in a new timing belt while the cover is off? Might as well stay ahead of the belt changes!

Also... check that your overflow bottle hasn't split. Mine split at about the 10 year mark, though it's easy to replace with a new one.

If all else fails, or even as a starting point, have your cooling system pressure-checked. This can often reveal the leak site.

Any other ideas folks?

Good luck!

Reply to
asdf

On or around Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:34:59 +1100, "asdf" enlightened us thusly:

That or the "P" gasket behind the thermostat housing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Skinty,

Different engine (Disco II TD5), but I had an aircon pipe rub a hole in the top pipe to the radiator. It suddenly lost all water, but the garage couldn't find the leak. It would then lose a small amount of water each day, but the pressure of the air con pipe on the radiator pipe was enough to stop any serious leaks on short journeys.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2