300 TDi funny cut-out problem, possible fix

Well, my car (1996 SWB CSW) has been refusing to start now and again for about five years or so.

Not often, just once every couple of weeks, especially if it had been run and then left for less than an hour.

You just tried to start it fifteen or twenty times and it started.

You could hear the solenoid click but that was all...

Nothing wrong with the alarm spider, I had it all checked out and nothing was wrong, except it was, but not when it got looked at...

Anyway, about a month ago it went in for a new engine belt and the mechanic said the old belt had been fitted 'a bit tight' and he'd put the replacement on at the correct tension.

No problem since...

So, it looks like too much tension on the belt can do odd things...

Reply to
William Black

It's self adjusting isn't it?

Reply to
Nige

I think it is, if it's the 300 Tdi engine same as Disco. So it could possibly be the tensioner's shagged and making it too tight. In which case it's not fixed and will likely start to play up again ... unless he changed the tensioner at the same time, or freed it off from whatever was stopping it tension correctly ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I would be interested to know if the cut out problem has really been fixed or if it's a wacky coincidence. Sounds like your spider to me - happened on my td300 disco - resoldered the pcb - never a problem since.

Regards

Tony

Tony

I would be interested to know if the cut out problem has really been fixed or if it's a wacky coincidence. Sounds like your spider to me - happened on my td300 disco - resoldered the pcb - never a problem since.

--------------------

Could be, it's only been a month, but...

So far so good...

Reply to
William Black

Very suspicious 'solenoid click' suggests starter motor.

Reply to
GbH

I had the solenoid click but no start on both the 101 and the Disco, but with different causes.

On the 101, the terminals inside the solenoid were fouled, so that although the solenoid was throwing the starter dog in, it was not making a good contact to turn the motor. Every so often you would get lucky and it would start. Cleaning the terminals worked for us, though no doubt a garage would fit a new solenoid, as it would be quicker and cheaper than billing you for the time to clean up the solenoid.

On the Disco I thought it was the spider, and bought and fitted the bypass, for it to make no difference at all.

It turned out that the secondary battery cable to the underbonnet fuse and istribution box was broken, and would only connect intermittently, the rest of the time the current draw to operate the starter solenoid was enough to cause the cable to break down and kill everything. This was also the end state of my deteriorating starter motor, sometimes it would turn fine, sometime slowly, sometimes not at at all. That cost me a new battery before it eventually died completely, pinpointing the real cause.

Hopefully some of that helps!

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey