300 TDi timing belt

Some time ago I dredged up the question of premature timing belt wear. Info found on the internet, in tech and service action bulletins and in your reactions led me to believe that my '98 Disco 1 (within the affected VIN-ranges) had the misaligned fuel pump. Land Rover Netherlands - the only place where they keep trustworthy warranty records - told me that no mod kit was ever installed. In any case, not under warranty. There was no yellow square on the timing belt housing.

I had the timing belt changed last week. To be on the safe side. I asked the garage not to bin the old one, and to my surpise there were no signs of premature wear whatsoever. No dust, no fluffy black deposits, a distant cry from the picture painted on

I got lucky I guess. Still, I'd like to warn all those with (possibly) affected engines to pay special attention to the problem. Get underneath the vehicle, and take a peek through the venting hole in the timing belt cover and see if there's any dust. If so, start worrying.

Cheers,

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Richard,

I bought a 1998 Defender 90 last week and it is one of The Cursed. It has not had the modification kit installed. The timing belt was replaced by a mechanic at an independent garage about 5,000 miles ago and he was not even aware that there was a problem with these belts! He said the timing belt looked fine and didn't really seem to need changing (although it had done about 65,000 miles).

As I understand it, the problem arises when the belt is over tightened. It doesn't have to be over tightened by much but what this means is that if it is within the tight spec (by luck or by judgement!) it will "probably be OK". I just don't like that word "probably" when the alternative is a very large repair bill that might be avoided.

I have also seen reference to the green oil seal being evidence that the modification kit has been fitted. IT IS NOT!! Mine has the green oil seal but it does NOT have the mod fitted. The main dealers also confirm that the green oil seal means nothing.

Fortunately, my D90 was bought from McRae & Dick of Inverness who have an excellent reputation. It was sold to me as a trade in from another customer without warranty. Most would have said that's my hard luck -- but I put it to them that they might let me have the kit at cost and they agreed. Nice people at McR&D. BTW, the D90 was a steal too and I am delighted with it.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

If no yellow paint has been added (and it seems that more havn't than have) then it is virtually imposible to tell if the mod has been done, and even worse, if the *right* mod has been done! The symptom that the mod is needed is the belt is chewed up along the front, usually about 5-10 mm from the edge, but this can also be caused by the tensioner pulley bearing failing. So, if your engine is in the affected numbers, and you have no paper work proving to your satisfaction that the mod has been done, you can either : Hope! ; Keep an eye on the belt; or do the job and know for sure it's done. Un-moded engines seem to keep poping up now and again, but there seems to be no relationship betweem mileage and the fault rearing its ugly head. Bye the bye - if anyone knows what the difference between the new timing case supplied with the full-monty kit and the original is I'd love to know - I've not been able to spot it after a (very brief) comparison.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

In article , richard. watson writes

I agree Richard I have fitted loads of mod kits.

The new timing case has the same casting number as the old ones.

Have also noticed the vehicles that have the full mod kit done (from new) at the factory some times use a plastic coated tensioner. I have had two of these shed their plastic coating resulting in a very slack timing belt. Any of these tensioners get replaced with the all metal version as a matter of course as a precautionary measure now .

Going back to Derry's original posting in my experience by 1998 the mod was fitted from new at the factory.

I too am still finding unmodified vehicles still turning up from time to time. last week I had one that done 75k on it's original belt !!! must of been a Friday afternoon car ;-)

Reply to
marc

marc wrote in news:OXC3a1nNLiq$ snipped-for-privacy@mdeng.demon.co.uk:

I found a lot of information about the timing belt problem on this site:

which lists the vulnerable Defenders as being from VA 107351 to VA 129096. The number off the MOT Certificate for my vehicle is VA128061. If you owned it, would you really want to take the risk? Ah, but maybe you own a repair shop??

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

BTW, I meant "was Never installed", of course.

I can only hope they used the right torque wrench, and used it right. Customer orientation at the official Land Rover dealer, where I bought my Disco, "oriented" me towards my old garage, which is a Rover dealer, but, in comparison, with little Land Rover experience. I hope they cheked out RAVE.

Exactly. Mine also had the green tabbed timing cover gasket, but no mod kit. The reference you are talking about wasn't sure about the green tab, however, if I remember correctly, so I continued the quest for more indepth knowledge of fuelpump misalignment and timing belt shredding.

Mine wasn't a steel, I'm sorry to say - on the other hand, a three year old with only 22 K miles... I shouldn't complain - but me too, I'm delighted with it. Even when I'm behind not the wheel.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

The old timing belt was absolutely pristine. It wasn't chewed up along the front, as you describe it. The mod kit has sth. to do with a fuelpump "sliding ferrule" (according to Haynes anyway). Is there a way of telling the fuelpump has this sliding ferrule, without dismantling half the engine?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I'm desperately trying to remember exactly what cones with the mod kits, but I don't recall anything to do with the fuel (I'm assuming you mean injector) pump. I could be wrong though! Or is that what the new timing case is all about in the full-monty kit?..........

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I mean the injector pump. Sofar as the mod kits are involved, on

contain:

Kit 1 (Part no. STC4095K) to be fitted to: Discovery MA 081991 - TA 200000, MA 500000 - VA 542370, TA 700000 - VA

711273 Defender MA 939976 - VA 101256 Range Rover MA 647645 - MA 664120.

This kit contains; front cover, timing belt, crankshaft gear, tensioner, idler, FIE pump bracket, side cover, gaskets, dowels and fasteners.

Kit 2 (Part no. STC4096K) to be fitted to: Disco VA 542371 - VA 558898, VA 711274 - WA 748935 Defender VA 101257 - VA 129096

This kit contains; timing belt, crankshaft gear, tensioner, idler, gaskets and fasteners. Also a crank shaft seal for Discovery VA 548520 - VA 558898, VA 716697 - WA 748935 Defender VA 107351 - VA 129096

Reply to
Richard

In article , Richard writes

Don't worry I am sure LR were clutching at straws when they started buggering around with the fuel pump bracket.

In my experience just fit the internal mod kit ie: the crankshaft sprocket tensioner and idler. And don't worry.

I must have done over fifty and have never had a problem with any of them.

Reply to
marc

OK, I'll try and stop being puzzled then.

Thanks,

Richard

marc wrote:

Reply to