300Tdi

Hi Guys

My Discovery 300Tdi has this annoying problem...

It starts fine Most days it is fine, but a long hill or an extended sprint over above

120Km/hr ( full throttle or high load ) and it starts to "miss", back off and it comes right, just like fuel starvation

When it is missing, nothing obvious comes from the exhaust The water temperature remains normal The boost pressure and revs spike downward ( symptom rather than cause)

Some times it will go for days with no problems, this morning, fine going to work, hill at work - problems, coming home no worries.

The figures

1995 Disco 300Tdi with EDC ( auto of course ) 250k kms on the body, engine unknown I rebuilt the engine some 10k ago due to no oil pressure, dropped cam bearing.

New timing belt of course, and injector timing since checked when I did the fan hub.

What I have done. Drained water trap - no water Fuel filter Cleaned that filter on the chassis rail, it was dirty. Opened tank and checked pickup and tank - clean.

What next ??? do these engines have fuel pump problems ???

Other than that the vehicle goes fine although last week a had a problem with not starting, sort of coughed and spluted but once on the road, no problems and all came good.

Thanks

Reply to
max

Hi,

I have heard that the wiring to the EDC ECU can become chaffed near the bulkhead causing similar problems to that which you are describing. It might be worth checking that ....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Leaking fuel pick up on the tank.

They rot through and go pourous , mine never leaked fluid but did suck in air. During high fuel demand more air gets sucked in and you get the "missing" sensation.

Could be wrong but if I don't mention it it'll take years to find it as it did on mine.

Reply to
Lee_D

Fairly common fault, You can replace the bundy tubing and braze it in the top if you lie the assembly on it's side and submerge most of it in a can of water to protect the plastic bits, done a few of those.

Martin

Reply to
Oily