300TDi Cold Starting

The Disco really struggled to start this morning, turned over OK but would not catch, took about 6 attempts at cranking until she fired up. It has a new battery fitted and the alternator is charging, around 14.05v on the battery terminals versus 13.2v when engine off.

Any ideas why it struggled? Any common things to check such as glowplugs etc? When it did fire it ticked over fine but was hard to drive as it had no power at all for a few mins until warmed through then it was off.

Reply to
Andy

The glowplugs are dirt cheap & easy to do. It was very cold today & the

300tdi i had was always a bit reluctant to go first thing.
Reply to
Nige

I had the same problem with the last cold snap

A new set of heater plugs sorted it

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Thick diesel? Bio?

Reply to
GbH

Glow plugs. Thick engine oil/diesel, the colder the thicker it gets and doesn't seem to thin out for blooody miles some days.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I reckon i have found a very tidy solid 3 door for a grand in Bradford!!!

Reply to
Nige

Obviously if the glowplugs are shot this won't help but I used to run through a couple of glowplug cycles before engaging the starter.

Reply to
Dougal

Any pics??

Reply to
Andy

Nige

--

Looks right enough, is that Cote Farm???

Reply to
Andy

> --

I thought that too, no Bierley new estate ;)

Reply to
Nige

Bad earth return to battery? It'll still charge at 20 amps but won't work at 200+ for starting.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

On or around Mon, 2 Feb 2009 18:40:23 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

no pictures of the bits that rot, mind, e.g. boot floor and C posts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

He's local & an MOT tester, he reckons it's well solid. I'll have a gander.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:23:18 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

not saying it isn't... but there are known issues on discos. To check the floor properly you need to lift the floor covering in the back. C-posts are easy to spot, of course.

The only other thing that springs to mind is inner wings under the bonnet.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This is a 3 door, it won't have the problem at the join on the C post will it? Don't worry Austin, i have had a couple of these things now ;)

Boot floor is clean, inner wings the same. So he says. The reason he's selling cheap is the interior is dirty. I can live with that.

It's gonna get lifted & some BFG's on it for laning & thats it.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:11:01 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

good point. I hadn't counted the doors.

fair enuffski. Just had the MOT done on our K-plater, boot floor repaired but liable to need replacing next time. And that's pretty sound otherwise.

Reply to
Austin Shackles