300tdi defender brake problems

can anyone tell me how i can check if my brake problems are from the vacum pump or the servo? brake pedal goes hard at low/idle revs?

TIA dave

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

madasaweasel

On or around Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:49:37 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@mad.co.uk (madasaweasel) enlightened us thusly:

300 TDi vacuum pump is a naff unit and known to fail, also costs about 109 quid to replace, buggrit.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Faulty servo, even with the engine switched off, the servo should maintain enough vacuum to give you a couple of presses before it goes hard.

If it goes hard at idle, it just means the pump cannot keep up with the leak unless you rev it.

Reply to
SimonJ

thanks for the reply when you put it like that it does make sense he ho its off to john craddocks web site

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

madasaweasel

On or around Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:14:16 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

good point.

or the pump's on it's last legs. Discos take a LOT of stopping with no vacuum.

Reply to
Austin Shackles