300TDi injectors

My 96 Disco normally struggles to get through the smoke test for the MOT, this time I'm wondering if cleaning the injectors will help? I mean taking them out and cleaning them properly - has anyone done this and did it make a difference? Regards Tony.

Reply to
Tony

I don't post here often, but saw this one. In answer to the question, I'd say no. If injector cleaner in the fuel makes no difference, then taking them out to clean them won't either. There's only a limited amount of cleaning you can do by removing them- such as removing large lumps of crud from the nozzle...but that won't be there anyway if the fuel cleaner has done it's job. (You know of course NOT to go sticking things down the nozzle holes, right? :p) If you're going to take them out, then give them to Lucas service or whoever to service and calibrate them. Best plan IMHO.

-Martin

Reply to
MartinT

No. As MT says, a 'proper' service and calibration can help.

However, a good clean out of the air system, air filter, egr valve and associated pipework, intercooler and a good check of all the hoses for splits or internal delamination can help smoke emissions immensely.

It might also be worth checking the injector pump timing.

Reply to
Paul - xxx