300tdi Not starting

Help

My def 300 tdi has decided not to start.

It turns over ok, The immobiliser light goes out ok when key is in the ignition, so I assume it is a fuel feed problem, there is fuel in the filter so I think it must be the solenoid that shuts off the engine is not working. I take it that I can check the voltage at this point by a connector or such like but I dont know where to find the thing. or which colour wire to check.

any guidence would be greatly recieved thanks or even links to photos

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

In message , Eddie Morgan writes

The wire is the only one, on a Defender, that goes to the injection pump.

If you can't find the injection pump then perhaps it might be a good idea to get a manual.

Check for power at the solenoid when the ignition is on. It is not uncommon for the immobilser to fail in such a way that allows you to crank the engine but sill does not supply power to the fuel solenoid.

The wire could be loose and have fallen off !!!

Reply to
Marc Draper

Reply to
karangahape

I know I shouldn't but that made me PML. :-)

Oily

THANKS PEOPLE

PS I have the workshop manual but it is far from clear,

There is a round connecter on top with 3 wires into it, So I take it this is the one, but which of the 3 should have 12V on it? On the wiring diagram i have it shows this as a white wire, but none that colour in site! towards the rear of the pump almost underneath there is a black wire that connects on a spade connector, does anyone know what this does?

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

The wire on the spade connector is the feed for the solenoid, although I've only ever seen the wire in white. This connection is notorious for giving trouble so give it a really good clean. You might even consider cutting of the spade connector and fitting a new one.

As the wire is black, trace it back and see if it's been spliced somewhere - maybe a previous owner had the same trouble.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

Thanks Steve thats what i was looking for

Reply to
Eddie Morgan

The round connector with the 3 wires on top is the EGR with system

The black wire with the spade connector located at the back of the pump is the one you want.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks again everybody!

new spade terminal fitted