300Tdi Overheated - but what is this sensor?

1995 300Tdi Mk1 Disco

Just got back from Kamdiffs with my Defender doors. I managed to get from Godalming to Jn 7 on the M3 by myself, but then needed a lift back on the back of a recovery lorry to Trowbridge!

Whilst the temperature gauge was reading normal, the engine lost power, then smoked like an autumn bonfire! Quickly pulled over and opened the bonnet (after releasing the strap that was holding it down - another saga!) The assumption is that it has overheated - why the gauge didn't move, I don't know - a new one will be on order!

What I have noticed is that a sensor on the top middle of the engine over an exhaust manifold is well melted, including the wiring. Looks like a brown/black and a green or blue.

The question is - what is this sensor and is it preventing my engine from starting? (The engine turns over, tries to start but won't run).

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Dunno what the sensor is but that sounds like a Turbo failure.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

or head gasket, so very low compression makes it nearly imposible to start. Propper mechanical diagnosis needed.

Check the cam belt too! If that's jumped a tooth or two, Mr Piston might have had a close conversation with Mr Valve, and the resulting argument has not been good.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter