300tdi power steering pully

Hi, another strange find on my discovery, the power steering pump pully sits about 4-5mm too far forward, so that the edge of the flat grooved belt has rubbed on the raised edge of the pully and destroyed the outside of the belt, so that I have had to trim the belt to remove one of the raised bits. It seems to be the correct pully (ERR3733). All the other pullies (water pump, fan, crank, alternator etc) are lined up OK.

Any ideas how to fix it? my only idea so far is to try to move the pump back a little by putting a washer between the pump and mouting bracket (if there's room) Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

OTWWAG: is it the correct (original) pump? or has some bright spark swapped it for an alternative off a scrapper?

Reply to
GbH

Is there a shim behind the pulley? Some had, some didn't. If there is, remove it and see if that helps? Can the pulley be inadvertently fitted the wrong way round? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Can you push the pulley back into the pump by 4-5mm?

Had one like this before, loads of end float on the pump shaft. Customer chose to ignore it and it failed completely a few weeks later. AMK (PUM257) recon pump was about £175 in Oct 08.

If the pulley won't push back in there must be something external wrong as others have suggested.

Andy Fox

110 V8 (205 gti 1.9, hillman imp)

Andy Fox

thanks for all the ideas, the pully is identical which ever way round (that was my first idea), and it helpfully has "Front" stamped on one side, so that's OK, can't remember seeing any shim, but that's something easy to check. The end float problem seems to be the common thing that came up on google, so have ordered new pump (=A350). I could not push the pully / shaft in easily by hand, but there's not much room and I was trying to hold up the tensioner at the same time. I'll let you know what I find when the new pump arrives. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Power steering pump has had the dick. Trust me, there is nothing else you can do. They shred the bearing and consequently the keyway in the pump and the shaft becomes loose - sliding out and destroying your belt.

Only way out is a new pump unfortunately.

-Craig. British Off Road.

Reply to
CraigB

Thanks Craig, new pump is on its way....

Reply to
Andrew T.