4.0, 4.2 or 4.6 - that is the question...

Hi All,

Well I've decided to get a newer Landy (BTW, I'm in the States) and would like to hear opinions on the three engines available to late 90's early 2000 RR's - what I've heard is that that basically as the displacement goes up, the reliability goes down - opinions? Anyone owned a 4.6?

Thanks,

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'

Ok, my personal opinions.

4.0, good engine but better with a cam change. Talk to J.E.Motors. 4.2, no real problems. Good engine. 4.6, fed up changing head gaskets on these! Std head bolts are crap! Fit head stud kit and it's ok. Better torque than other 2, but not an awful lot more power (due to the restrictive size of the exhaust ports in the heads.)

Be aware of horror stories about porous heads, blocks etc, (3.9 upwards) 9 out of 10 it's the liners working loose in the block which shows as a hairline around the liner where it meets the block, on the deck face. Can be fixed by a competent engineering shop. It's the movement of the liner which causes the continual failing of gaskets, overpressuring coolant systems.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Mother are you paying attention ?.........get them bolts changed :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D