4.6 R/R towing+fuel cons

I have a 4.6 vogue and was wondering what sort of fuel consuption could i expect while towing my lrg caravan,if its similar to the wifes disco td5 auto (appx 21mpg) then i'll have a tow pack fitted. mny thx Tim

Reply to
Tim

I very much doubt it, I had a 4.6 & on a run with no van would struggle to get 23mpg.

My Td5 auto gets around 23-24 with van on the back.

Reply to
Nige

Run the 4.6 on LPG and you'll easily get 14-15mpg whilst towing, and gas is only 49p/ltr........ Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Had both.

4.6 - normal 16/17mpg, towing 1.3 tonne caravan 14 mpg Td5 auto - normal 24/25mpg, towing 22mpg.

I'm not particularly heavy-footed, either.

Reply to
Rich B

When I see figures like that I'm half glad I didn't buy the X reg auto I= was offered (it was also bright red!). Only have glad as the Y reg is costing a packet on repairs, spend it on bits or spend it on fuel...

Mine has just returned 32.6mpg using 105.96l over 761 miles. Yes I did t= op it up with 20l from the jerry can to get it to the garage but I also refilled the can and filled the disco (in two goes as I hit the pump timeout). =A3101.63 First time I've spent over =A3100 in a single fuel purchase. B-(

Mixture of local running, long distance (500 miles) and a bit of towing =

with noticably more go pedal required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed, it is very disappointing. My manual Td5 Disco wasn't brilliant, but returned about 27mpg, which was acceptable.

Only time I did that was filling the P38 from empty + a jerry can. Had to do it in two bites, as the pump automatically shut off at £100. Ouch.

Reply to
Rich B

Ought to add that the 4.6 is brilliant for towing, even if it's thirsty. Even with trailer and 2 tonnes of trialler on the back it went like stink, and it hardly noticed the caravan. Power available at 60 mph to complete a safe overtake was very reassuring. I took the 14mpg as a price worth paying for the performance. The Td5 auto in the Disco is a different kettle of fish - constant high revs, even at lowish speeds, makes it seem hard work, and although it's competent, it's no more than that. I will never have another diesel auto. On the plus side, towing doesn't hammer the mpg too hard, but I would gladly trade the extra mpg for the 4.6's ability when I've got a load to pull.

In answer to the OP, if I only needed to tow occasionally, I would be inclined to fit the towpack to the RR and just save up the extra pennies for the fuel bills when needed.

Reply to
Rich B