51 Freelander Air Con prob

With the current hot weather I tried the air con for the first time, the light switch illuminates but that's it. I have tried various settings for the airflow and dial settings. The engine doesn't alter and the temp doesn't go cold.)I've checked with a digital thermometer) Any suggestions?

Ta ME

Reply to
MP

MP uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Do the pipes on the compressor get cold when it's on?

I'd suspect it needs recharging. Have you owned it from new? A recharge may be pointing towards engine work having been done and not recharged. Chap who recharged our Disco said some need doing every 3 years, some last longer.

I'm led to believe the more it's used the longer it lasts but that could be bull.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Er. The outlet pipe from the compressor should be warm if not hot. Gas gets hot when it's compressed, thats how diesels work...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same problem when I first used my 2001 TD4 -- no gas in system. It was proved ultimately to be a leaking condensor unit... apparently a common fault with the Freelander. Fortunately mine was still under the dealer's warranty.

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

OK so which of the pipes , I've never actually followed them but felt the chill when the Air con is on have a thin layer of ice?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Been waiting for it to get warm enough for the climate control to actually have to any real cooling...

Felt the pipes to/from the compressor this morning. One was cold and covered in condensation this was coming from the evaporators. (DII has air chillers front an back). The other was warm and disappeared forwards underneath lots of other plastic covers and plumbing, presumably off to the condensor.

Also noticed lots of pretty bright green staining around one of the valves, looks like I still have the leak that required it to be regassed to get it working at all last year. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice