90/110 rear door spare wheel carriers

Hi all How strong are the rear doors/hinges I am carrying a 235/85/16 on mine and it feels kin heavy

Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky

The problem is the door structure rather than the hinges or carrier. Late doors are supposed to be stronger, but cracking of the frame is quite common at least on pre-TD5 doors, especially with oversize tyres and corrugated roads. I had cracking on mine with standard tyres - but solved the problem by backing into a tree, necessitating a new door. I rivetted extra gussets in the frame of the new door and have had no problems with it over eight years and 200,000km. JD

Reply to
JD

With a standard 750R16 on my truck's rear door, the hinges started to go, however it had done about 80,000 miles at the time. The door looked OK and the hinges are cheap, so if I hadn't converted to a soft-top and removed the rear door, I'd probably have just got new hinges rather than a wheel carrier. Some people have seen door skins stretch and/or door internal frames distort apparently, I suspect regular off-roading (lots of jolts) wouldn't help.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I don't know if you can still get it but Land Rover used to sell a genuine parts door strengthening kit for 90/110 rear doors. I don't remember the part number or how much they were but I will have a look tomorrow if you are interested, or ping Richard, maybe he can help.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Think it also depends on what your doingwith the Landy. If it never gets off the black stuff it'll probably be OK for ever and a day on the original carrier. Bouncing over stuff offroad will induce far greater stresses and damage the door / hinge bushes over time.

Speak to Richard for a Mantec... Great bit of kit, last forever and take ALL the weight off the door.

J>Hi all

Reply to
Jon