90 Power Steering Reservoir

Hi

We recently acquired a petrol 90, 1984 with power steering.

A small leak of fluid constantly leaves its mark when the car is moved.

I replaced the seal under the cap of the p.s. reservoir - there is still fresh fluid in evidence. It DOESN'T seem to be coming from the vent hole in the middle of the cap.

Anybody got any experience of this (& how to fix)

Thanks & regards

Bandy

Reply to
bandy

Probably the steering box and/or the rubber pipes leaking. Trying some seal-swell (or even brake fluid) as an addition to the fluid will probably help the s/box seals and stop or reduce the leaks.

If the pipes are weeping at the joins and junctions, especially where they attach to the reservoir you'll probably need to replace them. Sticking a jubilee clip on seldom works IME.

I'd also bleed the system as it sounds as though you've got air in it as well. When hot, that expands and pushes the fluid out. Even minor weeps will allow air in.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley